If I was to start all over again, I would... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GW Nugget

Do the best you can with what you have...
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Calling all veteran 80 series owners.

If you were to start all over again fresh, how would you set your 80 up the 2nd time?

What would you change?

What costly mistakes have you made & want others to avoid?

What I'm trying to do here is give a historical record of the "I've Been There, Don't Do That.”

I'm still a noob trying to get things to work out. I have made some poor decisions that have cost me $.

I want to hear about your journey.

Please reply if you have at least owned an 80 series for over several years & have changed your set up multiple times, plus have made costly mistakes. Please give full technical details of lift, tires, shocks, CC, armour & type of off road use & post lots of pictures...

I hope this will help all the noobs out there like me to learn from your mistakes & make better choices in the future.

Thank you so much for your time & participation.

Last edited:
I would have bought a welder sooner.

I would not waste money on cheap disposable shocks. If you splurge on anything, make sure it's good shocks. Don't go cheap here.

I would not rely on off-the-shelf fixes for suspension components (caster plates, DC shafts, 'lift kits in a box').

I would go straight to 37" tires.

I would not have spent money on oversized expo bumpers. Silly thing to have for my intended use.

I would have done the front crank/oil pump seal when I did the HG overhaul.

Install an auxiliary fuse box as soon as you buy the truck. Cleaning up electrical later is not fun.

I should have started with a mini truck :flipoff2:

I would save my money and buy the nicest truck I could afford. The fixer upper is a real double edged sword. Granted my 94 LC made me the mechanic I am today, and my 99 XJ got me going down that path before it came along. The problem is, i'm still fixing crap on the 94, and it still has rust on it. Now that i've acquired a pretty good range of mechanical abilities i'm ready to start buying vehicles that don't require body work or PM. I want something clean thats just ready for the fun mods like bumpers, armor, suspension, etc.

I would have invested in sliders before bumpers.

I was looking at before pictures today and my doors and rockers used to look so nice...

Did a lot of homework before I got my rig. Talked to lots of friends with. 80s to learn the good and the bad. Found a well built rig that was set up pretty good for the majority of wheeling around here. In 5 years/75000 miles I have made a few changes. We
Nt from 315s to 37s as soon as the 315s wore out. Ives the exhaust over the frame and made it a little louder. Installed a custom/bulletproof mount for the Toughbook that I run for GPS/mapping. I have done a lot of tinkering with my cooling system since I am SC'd and in the desert. Oh, AND, I work with ToolsRUs every day. I wore out the DC front shat that came on the rig. I have run stock and a Spicer DC since, and I prefer the Spicer as it is a little nicer. Shortened the rear end of the tail pipe after I bent it upward enough to melt my right tail light!

Overall very happy with the rig. It goes down the road straight, and as fast as I want to go( 115 mph once during an emergency). It goes almost anywhere I point it on the trail. I was not denied anywhere I went at Cruise Moab 2011, and it is a rare day that I get denied in Az. I have done thousands of miles of volunteer work for the NF, and it has never left me stranded. Well , other than once with a really weird wiring failure that Tools figured out for me.

I would have used a torque wrench more

I would have followed the FSM verbatim when replacing bearings. I seem to have a "new" bearing set in the rear failing again more than likely due to not enough preload / poor installation.

I do a TON of research before I commit to an upgrade and there are very few regrets:
Build a LONG roof rack instead of a short one.
Buy a nice stereo instead of getting one for cheap that fits.
If your AC is broken, FIX IT FIRST! I regret dealing with the heat during NC summer months with no AC.

My Land Cruiser build has been glacial. I've owned the truck for 3 years and have done very little to it.

I would have gone with 37's and regear to 5.29 instead of 4.88.
Competition springs front and rear, stiffer King shocks valving, would not build my own roof rack.
LESS GROUP BUYS!!!!!!

I went 5.29 and 37's on the first truck. Now I'm building my second one and staying with 315's and 4.88 gears. I suggest building it for how you truly use it, not for what looks cool. I think 37s are as cool as the next guy, but I live 700 miles from my favorite mountain destination and I drive the 80 their 5-6 times s year. Their are "rock crawlers" and there are "off road explorers". Know which one you are.

Wish i just forked out the extra loot for new birfields when doing my knuckle rebuild instead of just putting it off later. Click click click click...

37s
Fox or king shocks
TJM progress springs(ymmv)
Tjm or slee rubber caster bushing
4 inch lift shocks and break lines so I can get more droop
Nice stereo with compact sub
Get sliders right away
Get front bumper right after
Change out all the rubber hoses right away
Get Aussie rear locker right away (or selectable)
Proper axle jobs right away
Proper tuneup and fluid flush right away
Caps rotor and dizzy seal right away
Should of start to work on the cruiser from very beginning

Ok just too many things to list

would have searched out a rig with less rust from another, drier state.

would not have bought the EMS exhaust

would have looked for a less extreme front bumper

Magic dial.
Remove running boards.
Add new OEM or OME stock height springs.
Add new Bilstein shocks and steering dampener.
285/75/16s
Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom