If I was to buy a new 4x4 SUV in N. America... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is the LC or LX the best there is? Let's omit the H1 because of its prohibitive cost.

I'm new to all of this and just trying to figure out how the most recent LC fits into the whole LC tradition.

I would ask what your needs are and then figure out what the best SUV in N.A. is for YOU.

But overall I'd say yeah it's the best on the market for MY needs without a doubt.

What you get with a 100 series is luxury, quality, reliablity and the off road ability that will cover 95% of what most people will ever need.

zeppelin_01 said:
Is the LC or LX the best there is? Let's omit the H1 because of its prohibitive cost.

It's not the best on the pocketbook for initial cost, no doubt. H1 is simply cool and I would love to own one, but when reality hits I would actually opt for an LC on the majority of the things I wanted to do.

In my opinion, the LC is the best there reasonably is. I say reasonable because you can get very specific with the likes of the Mercedes Unimog, the G-Wagon, and H1A (as you mentioned) but for parts, availabitiliy & longevity all together, the LC takes it for me.

You want a certain point of view confirmed, go to people with a bias, to confirm that certain point of view.

What do you think people here are going to say?

(I, like everyone here, already know the answer!)

Rugster said:
You want a certain point of view confirmed, go to people with a bias, to confirm that certain point of view.

"Nothing has more retarded the advancement of learning than the disposition of vulgar minds to ridicule and vilify what they cannot comprehend"

Based on your quote in your signature line, I would expect your response to this new members question to be more educational? :)

- the LC and the LX are basically the same models. you can say the LX is more luxurious, but it also comes with a higher price tag. if i was out there buying one or the other, id be getting the LC because IMO, its the best bang for the buck.

- the recent LC fit in the whole LC tradition because they are still being built with the same quality and reliability as its predacessors.

- now the question of "Is it the best there is" all depends on what your looking for. we need some more info on what you are looking for.

SWUtah said:
"Nothing has more retarded the advancement of learning than the disposition of vulgar minds to ridicule and vilify what they cannot comprehend"

Based on your quote in your signature line, I would expect your response to this new members question to be more educational? :)

Not at all... It's educational, I'm just pointing out that if you went to an NRA meeting and asked what the members think of gun control, you would have to be a little dense to believe the members wouldn't be biased..

Rugster said:

I ask because it seems pretty clear to me that the older Cruisers are definitely some of the baddest boys on the block. I routinely see them on the Discovery Channel, Travel Channel, and on National Geographic in some of the most inhospitable places on the planet.

That being said, I have always been a fan of buying new cars. So, I am essentially curious how the newer LCs stack up. In some of the literature I have read, I have noticed that LC-purists sometimes think of the newer LCs as being too luxurious and not as capable (something to do with suspension or something?). I really don't know much about what makes a good 4x4 SUV, so I was looking for some insight on how the current LC stacks up to the competition. Yes, I will probably receive a biased answer, but it is probably less-biased than I would get asking about LCs on a Hummer or Jeep board.

I can't speak of the older cruisers, but new model owners always seem to get hammered by the old model owners saying that the new one is not as good as the older model... (The same with Jeeps... CJ vs YJ vs TJ as to which is best...)

There will be always trade offs from one model to another... Hell.. solid axles and leaf springs were used in buckboards.. would you want to go back to driving them?

I can say that the LC is the tighter at 93k miles than any of the other vehicles I have ever owned when new..

Rugster said:
Not at all... It's educational, I'm just pointing out that if you went to an NRA meeting and asked what the members think of gun control, you would have to be a little dense to believe the members wouldn't be biased..

I think its more like going to a NRA meeting and asking them, what weapon they would use to go deer hunting with and why? Some members will tell him about the great rifle they use and some will say depending on how you like to hunt and time of year you like to hunt you might look at bow hunting? :)

I would say what other models are you looking at? Go to websites about each vehicle that falls into your considered group and learn about the quirks and problems and the positive aspects. I (God forbid looked at a Tahoe after owning a Chevrolet truck) thought about all positive aspects of Toyota and all of the Toyota models that I had owned, then considered my needs found this site and went LC. I would venture a guess if you have been reading this site you are educated enough to know that it is a fine vehicle and will do about anything.

Scott

<------------- Note the avatar. Old to new, the Land Cruiser is the best.....for me. You have to decide if it fits your needs, but there is not a higher quality, more reliable vehicle.................period. That said, I wouldn't buy one new, let someone else take the hit on depreciation. This is where the Cruiser really shines, test drive three year old rigs of all makes even if your buying new............you'll be getting a Cruiser.

Rugster said:
There will be always trade offs from one model to another... Hell.. solid axles and leaf springs were used in buckboards.. would you want to go back to driving them?QUOTE]

"Nothing has more retarded the advancement of learning than the disposition of vulgar minds to ridicule and vilify what they cannot comprehend."

I believe solid axle cruiser owner have just fallen victim to the aforementioned ridicule and defame.

I vote for buying a used LC. They want far too much money for new cars/trucks. I paid a fraction of the cost for my used 93 that will go to the same places as a new one and I am apathetic to parking lot dents. Hell! I just saved you $50,000.00.

Most LC owner don't use there vehicles to its full capabilities. The same of sports car owners. It's more a judgment of what makes you feel good than one of its abilities. In what conditions will you be operating that requires "the best"? In my opinion new SUV’s are incredibly over priced. Purchase what fits and be honest in assessing your needs. ($5,000 will buy you a good used LC, solid axles and all. ;) ) Seems crazy to buy a Hummer to commute 50 miles of highway to work, doesn't it?

If it were not for ego we would all drive Corollas. ($14,000.00 new)

Well, let's look at your title. "in N. America"
Why stop there?
I'm new to this forum, but not to Land Cruisers. I've been reading threads for days. Surf this site for awhile and you'll see people posting things from the U.S. (or North America), South America, Europe, The U.K., Australia & N.Z., and on and on. I just purchased my second LC, a 1998 UZJ100 with 133,000 miles on it and plan on using it for a daily driver. In fact, I drove 143 miles to get it, and then turned around and drove it home without a worry. I sold my 82 FJ60 with 158,000 miles to a woman who owned a coffee farm in Costa Rica, and she was shipping it down there to be her driver because she couldn't find anyone selling one down there. I just sold my Tahoe with a 122k on it because it was "shot" and now expect years of trouble free driving and wheeling up to 300k on this LC.

And the H1? Go drive one, then a LC or LX and you'll see why you don't see those running around all over the globe like LandCruisers.

Amen!

Campfire said:
Well, let's look at your title. "in N. America"
Why stop there?
I'm new to this forum, but not to Land Cruisers. I've been reading threads for days. Surf this site for awhile and you'll see people posting things from the U.S. (or North America), South America, Europe, The U.K., Australia & N.Z., and on and on. I just purchased my second LC, a 1998 UZJ100 with 133,000 miles on it and plan on using it for a daily driver. In fact, I drove 143 miles to get it, and then turned around and drove it home without a worry. I sold my 82 FJ60 with 158,000 miles to a woman who owned a coffee farm in Costa Rica, and she was shipping it down there to be her driver because she couldn't find anyone selling one down there. I just sold my Tahoe with a 122k on it because it was "shot" and now expect years of trouble free driving and wheeling up to 300k on this LC.

And the H1? Go drive one, then a LC or LX and you'll see why you don't see those running around all over the globe like LandCruisers.

:bounce::cheers::bounce2:

Good first post!

Enjoy the forum, we have a bunch of good tech mixed in with all the chit chat;)

Cruiser_Nerd said:
That said, I wouldn't buy one new, let someone else take the hit on depreciation. This is where the Cruiser really shines, test drive three year old rigs of all makes even if your buying new............you'll be getting a Cruiser.

This is pretty much what I'm considering.

I'm about to buy my first car (my first two were hand-me-downs), and I am seriously considering looking at some certified pre-owned LX470's....you can get them for around $30k with essentially a 3yr/50,000 warranty. That seems like a pretty sweet deal on a car with 50k miles that originally cost $70k.

Now your thinking! The first two years of a vehicles depreciation is the biggest loss. Unless you don't care about the money, and have it to spend, look for something two to three years old and save a BUNCH of money (for all the goodies you'll want). The Certified route is the way to go with a great warranty and recourse if something does go wrong. BUT BEWARE! Dealerships will sell you a Certified Pre Owned that comes with the Certified warranty, then in the finance office, try to sell you another "after market" warranty. This is where they make their money, and stick it to you. Research want you want, book it out on-line, and go in educated and prepared. (yeah, i like like to p*** off salesmen). And as for Certified? Ask to look at the service departments check off sheet FIRST to see if everything was fixed and up to par. Ask for a tour of the service department (this really upsets most sales people because they don't know what goes on in there). I just spent 14k on a 99 UZJ100 that had the Monroney sticker still in the glove box at MSRP of $52,486
Use your head buying it, and then use your head wheeling it.

Still sounds like alot of money! I would look for a private sale. Used car dealers rake you over the coals. I understand everyone has to make a living but for what they give you on trade in and then sell it at a huge profit. FOR-GET-IT! 500 point check to be sure its sound? It's bogus! Waranty a vehicle as dependable as LC? You do pay for it with the high price certified pre-owned automobiles command. Doubt I will ever spend more than $5000 for another car.....(my poor wife). Hell, you can buy property for what high end new cars go for and drive to it in the $5000 LC that just saved you $50,000.

Sorry to be a wet towel but I have great disdain for car salesmen and the market of selling a "good feeling". Propaganda I tell you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom