idling / accel problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I was trying to get the cruiser all set and I was setting the timing. I got the timing where it should be and it was still running pretty rough. I went to tighten down the distributor and it cut out. Now when I restart it, it is still running rough, and it wont get above about 1500 rpms, Even with the carb wide open. I thought it just wasnt getting enough fuel but the pump is still working.

Could be lots of things. How did it run before? What have you done to it since it last ran?

Post up some info. Stock carb? Emissions equip there? good compression? check vacuum lately?

AndrewT

Whats you compression with the new head gasket? Is the vaccum hose from the carb to the dist hooked up? Have you gapped the points and spark plugs?
Do you have a fuel regulator? Do you think it is flooding or not getting enough gas? Do you still have the exhaust leak on the manifold? It might be causeing the carb to suck in Co2 and run lean? HAve you made sure you don't have any vacume leaks? Look on intake. Use the propane, starter fluid trick?

A question to everyone. Is it possible to run a F engine with the distributor 180 degrees backward?

Thats all I have. Trouble shoot, Trouble shoot, trouble Shoot. Doesn't JP have a spare fuel regulator laying around, might be worth a try since you have a electric fuel pump and a 1barrel carb.

Good luck.

HAve you checked to see if the teeth on that distributor are still in good shape? Got it lined up correctly? Cap clean? Borrow JP's spark plug wires and see if that could be the problem. And check the coil

A question to everyone. Is it possible to run a F engine with the distributor 180 degrees backward? .[/QUOTE said:
When I had mine 180 out it wouldn't start. Backfired out the carb .

Ok let me go through these answers. It ran like s*** before because the head gasket was blown which I have since replaced. Its got an aisin 1 bbl, had good compression in the 4 cylinders that had the head gasket dont know about the other 2 havent checked. Hose to dizzy is on. The plugs were fine when I put them in right before the head gasket blew and they havent done anything but sit. Dont have a fuel regulator and I dont think its getting enough gas. I eliminated the majority of the leak on the exhaust its small now. I think I have a vacuum leak I can hear it but I can't seem to locate it. I have tried that trick to no avail. Dizzy is in great shape and spark plug wires are brand new.

Ok I pulled the plugs cleaned and gapped them and also gapped the points. Now it isnt starting at all, although I think its just flooded. I noticed the plugs had carbon residue on them so that would mean its running rich.

Ok its dark out now and I can't do anything else. Still didnt get it to start again. I HATE Landcruisers!

I think we should make a list of things to check, in priority order, for these types of problems. I can't tell you how many posts I've read here with the same symptoms (including my own) as Clemson55's. Note: I am not the best person to do this - I am a mechanical idiot who learns slow and often breaks things in the process.

Given above - I'd rule out fuel delivery first. Make sure pump is working. My vac gauge also tests fuel pressure. If your engine will run, disconnect lines somewhere between pump and carb and insert gauge - start it (fuel in line is enough) and get a reading. Stock fuel pump should put out about 3-4PSI. Also check gas filter. Take the one you have out and cut it open to check for rust/particles, etc.. - Install new clean one so you know that is good.

If your rig sat for a while, other things could be wrong. Carb could be dirty and/or clogged. If it runs, dump some seafoam in there and try and clean it - then do the quick fix Poser posts often about removing air cleaner and then using carboard or something to limit air flow into the carb to create greater vacuum which will 'suck' out clogged ports/jets in carb.

After that I'd check vac leaks and emissions items. Note that I had recent similar issue which was caused by a bad PCV valve. Your rig will run like crap and barely idle if your PCV valve is bad. They cost like $3 so just buy a new one and make sure vac line to intake is in good order. The other item I saw someone post (when I was searching to fix another issue) was a cracked dist cap which caused similar issues.

After this I'd be clueless on other potential engine issues (still learning). I would not rule out carb issues which could mean you need to do a more thorough investigation of the carb circuits (idle, acclerator pump, et...). However, I wouldn't assume to early that the issue is carb related (learned that lesson the hard way).

AndrewT

You mentioned that your spark plug wires are new. Are they going to the correct cylinder? It will run, albiet, rough with the plug wires switched...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom