Idler shaft on Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had a idler shaft on the transfer case slide out (towards rear end) of the transfer case about 1/2"? A lot of noise was coming from the tranny and got under neath to look around and saw that somehow the shaft had slipped out and past the lock plate and carved and nice round groove into it leading me to believe it has been this way for a while. I didn't have much time but at first sight I tried to hit/hammer back into place and it would budge a little but not enough for the lock plate to work. It's on a Aussie spec BJ40 with 4 speed transmission (H41 I believe). Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!!

If I understand you correctly there should be a thrust washer on that shaft that may have fallen down making it more difficult to get the shaft back in. If it ran that way for awhile it may be a good idea to pull it out and check it out.

I am not sure how long it has been, i am going to try and take a picture and post it to give a little better understanding. Only reason i think it's been like that for a while is the lock plate is worn down to the radius of the shaft and i've noticed it becoming and little hard to shift plus wanting to take off on me when the clutch is depressed, say at an intersection. I fear the worse, what kind of project am i getting myself into if i pull it? do i have pull the entire tranny and tcase or can the tcase just unbolt form the tranny?

The shifting problem sounds like a misadjusted clutch and is unrelated to the idler shaft issue.

If the shaft won't seat properly, you need to remove the transfer case and reassemble it properly. Either remove the tranny/transfer assembly (my personal choice) or just remove the transfer case, your choice.

Thanks Pin! Sounds like quite the job, while I'm at it wouldn't you say it'd be a good time to go ahead and replace the rear seal where it leaks from the parking brake drum?

Yes, but also replace anything else that is worn out or out of spec. Nopoint in doing it twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom