Idle Solenoid?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by xumFJ40, Mar 19, 2004.

1. xumFJ40

xumFJ40

I am trying to determine if my idle solenoid is working or not.

How do you test the actual solenoid? If I put a multi-meter between the wire that connects to the idle solenoid and the negative terminal of the battery should I get 12V with the key on?

As it stands I get .3V when I do this, so I am thinking that it is another problem....any advice?

Thanks,

2. jwest

jwest

With key on engine off, if you disconnect the solenoid, you should hear it click off.

3. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

The function test of listening for it clicking is a good indication of correct operation, but 0.3 V at the connection can't be good. Either there is a high impedance connection upstream of the solenoid or the solenoid is shorted.

4. xumFJ40

xumFJ40

Pin_head,

Ok, I know that this sounds weird, but the truck idles. However, I don't hear the click, and as I stated before the voltage is .3 between the lead that connects to the solenoid w/the neg of the multi-meter attached to the neg term of the bat....

I adjusted some idle settings on the carb this weekend.

I guess if it runs I shouldn't worry about it...

5. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

.3 V is strange because of the voltage drop across two resistors in series. The resistance of the solenoid is about 25 ohms, while the wire leading to it should be less than 1 ohm. It should read about 12V. Either the solenoid resistance is too low (shorted) or the resistance of the fed circuit is too high (bad/corroded connection).

6. Rocky_LC

Rocky_LC

If your PO was anything like mine, every wire on your truck should have a crappy splice in it.

If you can easily access the wire, you should be able to jumper +12V from the battery direct to the solenoid, and hear it "click" to test the function.

I wouldn't cut into a good wire for this test, though.

I can't believe the problem is in the solenoid, since a short on 12V would pull alot of current.

I looked at my wiring diagram, but couldn't tell if that curcuit is fused (it should be).

Rocky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.