Idle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steffan

SILVER Star
Threads
I've searched everywhere and there seems to be a lot of things to look at about high idle but none in particular addressing this. when i did my timing chain i swapped out the thermostat to a 180 degrees model because that's what they had at the store. after everything was back together, it seems like it wants to idle high (1100rpm). people allude to hight idle also being caused by the temp sensor errors etc due to the computer thinking its still in the warm up cycle. would the 180 thermostat possible be too cold for the computer to switch over (factory temp being 195)? thanks

No.

High idle cpuld be the idle screw needing a new o ring or your IAC.

Last edited:
Also check the IACV and the TPS.

it was running perfect before the timing chain so it would be very coincidental if something like the IACV or TPS took a dump at the same time. I guess it could the be the timing - i was careful but to the point i was when i changed out the distributor o-ring. i would have though that 1 tooth off would be enough to throw the timing off to the point where it wouldn't even run. i'll mess with that and see what happens. thanks

Check you Idle control the screw on the throttle body. It's a 2 cent o-ring that can give you lots of issues. Second is to check all the connections and make sure they are tight. Good Luck.

Also, burp your cooling system really really well.

yeah, thats another thing: burped that thing 10 times now.... good for a day or two and then bubbles start hanging in the heater core. once it runs for a few minutes they get flushed through - heater blows hot etc. i've looked everywhere for leaks, cracks etc - no sign of anything. new radiator cap, all new hoses, the works. checked the expansion cap and tubes and they all seem good as well - thinking there might have been a break in one of the lines and it was pulling air when it cooled off. no idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom