Idle Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a little incident yesterday where I had to lock the brakes up real quick to avoid an idiot who pulled out in front of me. I was doing about 35 mph. The cruiser stalled so I cranked her back up and pulled up to the next stop sign where she stalled again. Bottom line-she won't idle without the choke pulled out all the way. She seems to run fine at higher speeds though. Same problem today - even when I am slowing down and push in the clutch, she stalls unless I keep her reved up or choke her. My first thought was a vacumn leak with the brake booster but disconecting/plugging booster line made no difference. I am out in the driveway now trying to troubleshoot her. Any ideas?

1971 FJ40 w/F stock

Not what you want to hear I am sure, but when my conglomeration of PO fixes gave me no other option such as yours and many more....TIME FOR A 350 V8!... Easy to work on and when I can't fix it everybody knows the SBC and Quadrajet! No help but a shameless plug for a V8. I wouldn't own a 40 without one.

Float stuck???

:confused: :idea:

Since it started just after the traffic incident, I would suspect that something came loose or fell off. Check all the other maniford connections, like the PCV line. Also check that the idle fuel cut off solenoid wire is in place and working properly.

Just checked all the manifold nuts, carb base nuts, idle solinoid, did a propane check to everywhere I could get to on/around the manifold. I am thinking of disconnecting/plugging all vacumn lines next. Cranked it up and it still dies when it is less than about 2/3 choke. Checked timing as best I could om choke and it seems in range. Runs great at highway speeds. WTF??

I think the stuck float idea is a good one: can you see the fuel level in the glass?

Would a bad donut gasket (exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe) have anything to do with it? I think it is leaking somewhat and I have a new one on the way.

well, just checked the float level and pulled the top of the carb off. No noticed problems there. Started back up and no different from before

Like PinHead says...make sure the idle fuel cutoff solenoid is getting power. If that is not opening you will run normally when off idle but it won't idle if it is closed. You did not mention checking and confirming.

GL

Ed

I did check it and it is powered up and opening/closing.

Then my next guess would be(and I got this from PH) that your idle circuit is plugged with a piece of flotsam that was jarred loose during your panic stop.
He has a technique that he calls the "poor man's rebuild" or the "Arkansas rebuild". Set your idle up to where it will idle, albeit fast, or have someone keep it running while you spray carb and choke cleaner in the airhorn, then use a gloved hand or a piece of cardboard to completely shut off the air to the carb. The engine may provide enough suck to clear the idle circuit passageways.
Now I have never done this, but he has described it many times.

GL

Ed

It's the "Oklahoma rebuild".

Credit where credit is due and let's not confuse Okies with Arkies.

Hey...don't I get partial credit????!!!!!!

Charlie, did I tell him the right method? I'm from Missouri, so you have to "Show Me".

Ed

Degnol said:
did I tell him the right method?

Ed

Yes, pretty much. The higher you rev it before you hand choke it, the higher the vacuum inside the carb, so I say to rev it up to 2,500 and then choke it. Repeat if necessary.

She started idling fine today all on her own. I think the carb needs a dip and a rebuild

Stopped at a store and when I started her, right back to the idle issue. I am going to pull the idle solinoid and give it a couple of shots of carb cleaner. I think that is where the problem is

You can try running some Berrymans through as well, but you might be better off opening up the carb and cleaning out the float chamber and blowing out the passages. That is what I do for krapinzekarb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom