Idle problems (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 FJ80 with a rough idle. Rough enough that it dies if you take your foot off of it.

It started when I took apart the air cleaner when it was running. I eyeballed the aircleaner and as it sat running just fine, it got real rough and died. I put the air cleaner back together and started it and it ran rough again and died. It has been doing this ever since.

I just did the paper clip across TE1 and E1 trick to pull codes five minutes ago. The check engine light didn't give me codes but instead flashed constantly. I waited forever for it to stop and it did not.

I read elsewhere on this board about dummy codes. I thought that this was what I was seeing so I pulled the EFI and dome light fuse for at least five minutes. Put them back in and tried again and still constant flashing.

As I type this, I have both fuses out and the battery disconnected. I am going to leave it like that until I hopefully get some advice.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The constant flashing simply means "no codes".

You likely tore the big intake hose from the air cleaner to the throttle body. Inspect it closely; that's almost guaranteed to be the problem.

Welcome,

Curtis

I had thought of that when it first started.

I just went out there and, sure enough, its ripped pretty good up near the throttle body.

I think when I first looked at it it was ripped slightly and got worse over time.

Now I'm off to the parts store to get a new one.

Thanks a million. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

you can put some tape on it so it will idle as you drive to the store

I think those plenums run about $120. Get one used if you can, they are not to hard to find.

Or you can get one of those blingy chrome-like intake tubes like I did... :eek:

Rough idle and stalling started in Utah - wheeling in the Maze on the Outlaws run two weeks ago. Searched MUD. Found this. Went to Cruiser. Saw ripped intake hose instantly. Duct taped. Purrs. This IS how its supposed to work!

Rough idle and stalling started in Utah - wheeling in the Maze on the Outlaws run two weeks ago. Searched MUD. Found this. Went to Cruiser. Saw ripped intake hose instantly. Duct taped. Purrs. This IS how its supposed to work!

Don't you love it when duct tape can make your cruiser run incredibly well?

I've had similar experiences with duct tape...

My other favorite cruiser "parts" and "tools":

Bailing wire, water, BFH, 12mm socket/10mm socket, 3/8 ratchet, tow strap, a couple of d-shackles, a 1' long pry bar, 3' tube 1/2" tube (extesion you know)...

Classic is what makes our trucks go...

-o-

I have a 94 Fzj80 with check engine light on constantly since I purchased in October of 07. I'm getting a code 71 and have been having a rough idle since day one. Sometimes it idles around 600 rpms and does fine then sometimes it goes just under 400 rpms. Completely unpredictable as it does this hot or cold. It doesn't cut off but does shutter like it wants to. Intake hose has been replaced. It's really irritating, somebody please get me straightened out.

I have a 94 Fzj80 with check engine light on constantly since I purchased in October of 07. I'm getting a code 71 and have been having a rough idle since day one. Sometimes it idles around 600 rpms and does fine then sometimes it goes just under 400 rpms. Completely unpredictable as it does this hot or cold. It doesn't cut off but does shutter like it wants to. Intake hose has been replaced. It's really irritating, somebody please get me straightened out.
Me thinky its your EGR valve :D
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/251209-rough-idle.html

So I have been having this problem as well, rough idle once warm and the ol girl would sputter and die. saw this looked out side and bang big crack, almost all the way around. Duct Tape, defiantly on of my favorite tools. Awesome site, and yes I do realize how old this tread was.

20141120_121303.jpg

Mine is intermittently idling low and sometimes stalls. Sometimes it's perfect. No codes thrown at all. A diagnosis indicated it may be time to replace my idle control module up there on the forward end of the intake plenum. Haven't done it yet though. Too busy enjoying the rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom