Idle Issues... Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

madcow246

Pseudo Regular
Threads
I have an '87 FJ60 that I acquired through 'Mud on a trade. When I got it it wasn't running, but I was assured it was only a minor issue. I have since had to replace the coil, igniter and distributor (fortunately the previous owner took care of the parts), as well as complete a half-ass desmog job. I finally got it running, but it WILL NOT idle... anything less than 1200 rpm and it dies! I was told the carb was recently rebuit (and it does look like it), I have checked for vacuum leaks; I disconnected and reconnected the idle solenoid with the key "on" and it does click; and I checked the "engine" fuse (good)... now I'm at a loss... Anyone have any ideas???

Howdy! Even though you have checked the idle solinoid for the"click", there is no guarantee that there is fuel running thru it. I would try to clean it out, just in case it is blocked. Carb cleaner, small piece of wire, air pressure, etc, may be able to clear it out. John

Thanks, I'll give it a try... I'm hoping for a simple solution!

Well, I pulled the idle solenoid and it looked immaculate. I sprayed it with carb cleaner and blew it out w/ compressed air anyway. I also hooked it up with it out of the carb to see if the plunger was indeed working... it is. The one thing I did notice when I pulled it, is that it was dry, shouldn't it have at least a trace of fuel at the plunger end?
Still not running at idle... 1200+ rpm or nothing.

Last edited:
Well, I pulled the idle solenoid and it looked immaculate. I sprayed it with carb cleaner and blew it out w/ compressed air anyway. I also hooked it up with it out of the carb to see if the plunger was indeed working... it is. The one thing I did notice when I pulled it, is that it was dry, shouldn't it have at least a trace of fuel at the plunger end?
Still not running at idle... 1200+ rpm or nothing.

when you blew air through it could you hear air inside the carb where the butterflies are ,it may be plugged solid,you also may have a major vacum leak

There might be something plugged in the idle circuit. Blow out all of the brass vacuum ports on the carb with cleaner and double check for a vacuum leak. How many inches of vacuum are you pulling?

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
I was unable to solve the issue, just didn't get another chance to even open the hood... sold the '60 as is... but I will pass on the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom