idle help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
when coming to a complete stop the cruisers(70 F155) tends to idle high for a few moments
and then comes down is this normal
thank you

GF..

I would guess one of the following:
carburetor float-level
fuel pressure...do you have the stock mechanical fuel pump?
brake booster vacuum leak...try stepping on the brakes in the drive-way, and see if your idle changes.

If you have a later model carb with smog control and a "throttle positioner" then this is normal operation. I'm not sure when this feature appeared, but I'm guessing '73 or 74. If you don't have a carb with a TP, then I would check the linkage for binding.

it's a 1970 fj40 with single MC. the carb looks to have been changed or rebuilt
DSC01389.JPG

DSC01388.JPG

bluemax said:
when coming to a complete stop the cruisers(70 F155) tends to idle high for a few moments
and then comes down is this normal?
Yes, it appears in your photos that the carb & emissions are still box stock. The computer tells the throttle positioner to hold the throttle on high-idle when coasting to a stop. It should drop back to idle when the vehicle stops. If the idle is staying up for more than a few seconds after coming to a stop, then there is a problem.

You appear to have a cable throttle, which tend to stick more than other types. If it is not the throttle positioner, try lubing the cable with "Dry Slide" (A graphite based cable lubricant available at motorcycle shops) or get a bigger return spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom