Idle Drop on Startup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Upon starting up the truck this morning I noticed the RPM's surged as usual upon startup but then dropped down to about 400 then surged again. Seemed almost like a loss of power or like the engine wasn't getting enough fuel.

After this nothing else happened and drove perfectly fine. Same thing happened when I started up for the 2nd time to go home.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas? It's a 2000 with 173k

Could be your Throttle Body intake needs cleaning. Remove air cleaner hose from filter to throttle body..remove mass air sensor carefully...get some throttle body cleaner and a stiff cleaning brush (tooth brush, etc)...where the butterfly opens it will sometimes build up dirt and grime there and it impedes the ability of the valve to stay open and work as needed....so spray liberally...scrub until clean.....spray into Throttle Body as well to clean....reconnect Mass Airflow sensor....start truck and see if it helps. Mine was doing that a few years ago and would actually stall sometimes immediately after startup. Did this and it fixed it perfectly.

Is this happened for like a split second and then like nothing happen?

Mine also just started doing this in Dec.. I have a 2000 LX with 145k miles. Someone told me that it's a good idea to also replace the fuel and air filters. I didn't think about cleaning the throttle body but will give that a try too. Thanks for the tips.

I’ve had the same problem. Here’s a video it did it twice before this. If I give it just a touch of gas it will stay running. Not other problems. No cel.

As Brock said in this post. Do that. Same problem and scrubbed the butterfly valve and cleaned the mass air flow sensor fixed my problem. Funny how this is his old truck too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom