Idiots Guide to Holley Sniper Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking for help from the Sniper gurus... I'm an idiot, looking for guidance. So far @BenjaminCA 's idiots guide has not dropped to my level of idiocy.

I've been trying to get my 40 running for a few weeks now. It seems to crank fine, and it sputters now and then but won't fire and run. I can't get Mosely Motors (where I bought it) on the phone or email for help so hoping someone here has some input.

The kit Mosely sold me is plumbed like this:
View attachment 3389686

He gave me that diagram to follow, which I did.

I have the pink wire on the sniper harness tapped into ignition under the dash by fuse box.
I have the 1979 coil and igniter with fj60 distributor. Double checked all of that wiring with Haynes diagrams and replaced the fusible link with a new one from @Coolerman.
Yellow wire from sniper harness to negative on the coil as per instructions.

When cranking it the voltage drops to 10 ish and rpms are around 300. From what I understand the voltage needs to stay up at 12 and RMPS should be higher? Fuel pump is kicking on with ignition and builds pressure. When trying to start i can see fuel mist in the sniper.

A local guy that has worked on snipers was baffled an Ignition Coil Driver Module wasn't included in the kit to regulate the voltage. I had called to ask him to fine tune it for me, but he's so busy he's not interested in working on old rigs. Any ideas? Is there a better spot to tap into ignition? Not sure what to try next.

View attachment 3389706
I tapped into the ignition at the coil and had no issues. Everything else run directly to battery terminals including BOTH positives and negatives.

I tapped into the ignition at the coil and had no issues. Everything else run directly to battery terminals including BOTH positives and negatives.
I have positive and negative direct to battery also, ignition at the fuse box. Adjustment screw did nothing, I tested it in many positions, some did provide more cranking RPM though.

Holley also told me to make sure the exhaust bung connection was removed since I don’t have that installed yet- trying to get it started so I can drive it on the trailer to get exhaust done. I had that unplugged so that’s not the prob.

Busy day, didn’t get a chance to run and get a pressure guage before they closed. Tomorrow.

I have positive and negative direct to battery also, ignition at the fuse box. Adjustment screw did nothing, I tested it in many positions, some did provide more cranking RPM though.

Holley also told me to make sure the exhaust bung connection was removed since I don’t have that installed yet- trying to get it started so I can drive it on the trailer to get exhaust done. I had that unplugged so that’s not the prob.

Busy day, didn’t get a chance to run and get a pressure guage before they closed. Tomorrow.
1. Did you reset the timing? Assuming it was running well before the Sniper install, is there any chance it was bumped? What happens if you rotate the distributor slightly while someone else cranks it? What timing advance for starting (i.e. low RPM) are you using?
2. Generic advice that has worked for me in the past on old FJ's and old 911's --> Clean and tighten all the ground straps. Add some extra ground straps.

1. Did you reset the timing? Assuming it was running well before the Sniper install, is there any chance it was bumped? What happens if you rotate the distributor slightly while someone else cranks it? What timing advance for starting (i.e. low RPM) are you using?
2. Generic advice that has worked for me in the past on old FJ's and old 911's --> Clean and tighten all the ground straps. Add some extra ground straps.
i got a pressure guage tester all is good there. Sniper support walked me through all the settings and I had it correct. Motor was just rebuilt. I'm pretty sure my timing is off. I found TDC and set the dist rotor pointing to #1 on the cap, but I think I’ve got something off. One day it will start again.

Last edited:
i got a pressure guage tester all is good there. Sniper support walked me through all the settings and I had it correct. Motor was just rebuilt. I'm pretty sure my timing is off. I found TDC and set the dist rotor pointing to #1 on the cap, but I think I’ve got something off. One day it will start again.

If your present timing is off, that explains good compression, availability of fuel, but no ignition.

I would try loosening the distributor and slowly rotating it side to side while a friend cranks it. If that doesn't work, you can set timing with an old fashioned strobe timing light while a friend cranks it over and lining the "BB" on the flywheel up with the pointer.

If your present timing is off, that explains good compression, availability of fuel, but no ignition.

I would try loosening the distributor and slowly rotating it side to side while a friend cranks it. If that doesn't work, you can set timing with an old fashioned strobe timing light while a friend cranks it over and lining the "BB" on the flywheel up with the pointer.
Thanks for the tips. I'm headed out to the San Juans with the other cruiser for a few days. Local Exhaust guy had a window this week to fit me in so I trailered it in this morning. Hopefully he can figure out that funky Y pipe on the headers and I'll have an exhaust system when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom