Idiot seals gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I sealed my 1975 40 gas tank with POR gas tank sealer to stop leaking out of pin hole rust spots... worked great no leaks. Unfortunately it looks like i sealed my supply line in the process. Pulled the float and peaked in cant see anything. Cant get a coat hanger in it. Cant blow it out. Talked dirty to it... nothing. Really want to keep my OG gas tank, anyone got a suggestion?

If you can't solve the dilemma with your factory tank (thinking you replaced rust holes with POR, and plugged fuel lines) then you could consider doing what many Mud guys have done- - -replace your original tank with one of my nylon rear fuel cells- - -22 gallon capacity, no welded seams, will never rust, laboratory tested stronger than a steel tank, and can be used as your one-and-only tank, even with a fuel pump inside the tank.

Have you tried to run a heavy wire, like coat hanger, through the supply fitting in the side of the tank. The feed line simply goes straight in and then turns down and has a tapered cut on the end. If you did end up with a plugged end and it breaks free not sure how you'd get it out of the tank. You could also try high pressure air as well, just make sure the gas cap is off so you don't over pressure the tank if it breaks the seal.

I have had success unplugging small openings around turns with a wire in a drill. Braided bicycle brake cable works well. It has more flex, and the cut end frays and all those little wires scratch away at the clog. A piece of the sheath can help control it.

Edit: Also, to get debris out. A shop-vac onto the filler neck with compressed air into another opening to stir it all up will finally get it all.

Last edited:
If you can't solve the dilemma with your factory tank (thinking you replaced rust holes with POR, and plugged fuel lines) then you could consider doing what many Mud guys have done- - -replace your original tank with one of my nylon rear fuel cells- - -22 gallon capacity, no welded seams, will never rust, laboratory tested stronger than a steel tank, and can be used as your one-and-only tank, even with a fuel pump inside the tank.
Sure wish I could get one of those here in Oz (without the freight cost!).

Another device used to clean out clogged line is the pentagon style weed whacker line (.090 or .105). Chuck it up in your electric drill and hog out the clogged narrow steel tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom