Idiot Proof 2 Battery System or Connect Winch/Compressor to Main? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have waited too long to fix the two battery system the previous owner had installed in the system, and now I am up against a trip deadline and kicking myself.

Here's what the setup is/was:
  • 1 main, lead battery in normal location to start vehicle etc
  • 1 AGM battery on passenger side of engine compartment, in the back toward the windshield
  • cables directly connecting the positives of the two batteries, no fuses
  • those cables went under some pinch points where I thought with another rattling/jolting, might pierce the cable insulation and cause a short
  • winch and ARB compressor tied to second battery
  • AGM battery was dead when I got it
Life has happened and I never did anything about it -- except disconnect everything due to the lack of fuses between the main and the AGM. Not sure if that was wise/necessary, I don't know enough about electricity and erred on the side of just disconnecting completely.

So, now I am up against a deadline.

Options I see:
  • install a proper 2 battery system with either a solenoid or some other monitoring device that ensures batteries don't drain each other, including fuses between to avoid any major electrical shorts (if so, what, and could I order it and it get here and I install it in say, next 2 weeks)
  • replace AGM battery and reconnect everything as it was (seems unwise, but again, I don't know enough)
  • find longer cables to directly connect winch and compressor to main battery, remove 2nd battery (not anticipating doing crazy offroading, kids will be with me, probably have 1 or 2 excursions on light packed roads, no crazy rock climbing, etc.) -- or just route the cables, and only connect if I need to
We will have a Hulkman Alpha 85 jump starter pack with us and charged at all times as well.

I can't get in to any local shops in time for the trip (idiot!) so, left to my own devices and once again coming to the community for advice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Winch and compressor should be hooked to main battery.... and you should have the engine running whenever using those two items. 2nd battery is good if you have other accessories like a fridge, lighting, 2m radio you want to keep on for extended times. If 2nd battery is AGM and Main battery is standard Sealed Lead Acid, you should go with a DC-DC charger (i.e. Redarc).

If you don't have accessories and just want two batteries for redundancy, you can even just go with a Blue Sea battery manual selector switch (1, 2 or 1+2).

You can also keep your two paralleled battery set-up and route the cable more cleanly. But the two batteries should be exactly the same and ideally purchased at the same time (age). Doesn't really make sense though unless you had unusual needs like Diesel engine, extreme cold weather, etc.

Winch and compressor should be hooked to main battery.... and you should have the engine running whenever using those two items. 2nd battery is good if you have other accessories like a fridge, lighting, 2m radio you want to keep on for extended times. If 2nd battery is AGM and Main battery is standard Sealed Lead Acid, you should go with a DC-DC charger (i.e. Redarc).

If you don't have accessories and just want two batteries for redundancy, you can even just go with a Blue Sea battery manual selector switch (1, 2 or 1+2).

You can also keep your two paralleled battery set-up and route the cable more cleanly. But the two batteries should be exactly the same and ideally purchased at the same time (age). Doesn't really make sense though unless you had unusual needs like Diesel engine, extreme cold weather, etc.
Okay, good to know, so I really just need to figure out how to connect the winch and compressor back to the main then? At some point wouldn't mind a manual battery selector, but not sure if I have time for all that. If I just need to reroute the wiring that would be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom