Id'ing a 2h turbo and manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. The used turbo setup I bought arrived today. I was really only after the manifold but the other components may come in handy too. Anyone recognise this manifold?

I have attached a few pic's of the turbo. It is a strange beast with what looks like an external wastegate mount in the turbine housing. The compressor housing says it's an Air Research T04 with an AR of 60. I can't see any markings on the turbine housing at this stage.

Any clues on this turbo? I'm assuming it's too big/old/laggy for a touring application. I would rather a gated turbo for faster spool up.
IMGP2387.jpg
IMGP2388.jpg
IMGP2396.jpg

Garret T4 old school ( but pretty nice ) turbo .. the issue it's the manifold .. I'm not sure ( for the pic ) that it's a factory one piece 2H early manifold ..

Do you think this turbo would be too big for the application? I have never seen one that has an exhaust housing with external gate port. I have been stalking for some time and have noticed you have done your homework on turbo's and 2H's. :cool:

The manifold does not use an adapter for the turbo and has provision for a pyro cast into it. I will have to have a search about for pictures of an early manifold to compare. Either way, I'd rather use this one than use an adapter AND a later manifold, because there will be enough lag with a plain bearing turbo already.

Any more advice would be great.

Thanks

The manifold in that thread is different. The one I have has a 4 stud flange that mates directly to the turbo, no adaptation required. I will try and get another picture to show it.

Thanks for your help mate!

The manifold in that thread is different. The one I have has a 4 stud flange that mates directly to the turbo, no adaptation required. I will try and get another picture to show it.

Thanks for your help mate!

Re thinking about it .. this manifold easy should be an aftermarket unit from turbo glide, AXT, safary or any other in Australia ..

Hey dousty
I've had my 75 for four years now and an exhaust leak for 3. been trying to find a swap over but its near on impossible because it the exact same manifold as the one in your picture! Same turbo too. Rare as only found this thread by searching through images on google. Please tell me you ended up finding out what manifold it is? I just need one to swap out so i can weld my one up properly

ok thanks mate theres a guy selling one exactly like mine on gumtree atm under 2h parts & accessories, can't put the link on here cause I'm only new. Rang him and he doesn't know what it is won't separate and wants 1000 bucks for it and the rest of the plumbing.

Think your right Gareth I looked them up and there the same as mine, a wee bit different to the one shown here.

Next question whos got one laying in their shed?

It is a Safari Manifold and these came from Safari with a Garrett T3,
Same as I fitted on my HJ75 some years ago, Started a thread on it here on MUD.
Mine was second hand and I checked the manifold with my 4Ft Builders level as a straight edge and it was out. The PO told me this happened when he cooked his motor. So I just used a belt sander to correct the alignment and it has never looked like leaking. The cast Iron comes down very easy as it is soft. Very little effort is needed to bring it back to true. Cheers gaz

That TO4 Turbo is usually what the mildly plus modified VL Commodores use with the Nissan RB30 motor. Need to check the numbers to find what is on the compressor and exhaust of the turbo to see if it is suited to the low reving diesel check with Duncan about this aspect. I have emailed and phoned up Safari and they will not say what the T3 is sat up at for with the kit, only that they no longer make that kit for a 2H. However it was the top kit in its day. See Later Safari Kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom