Identifying Characteristics of the BJ42 LX 1983 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sourcepoint.com.au
I believe that the BJ42 was last made in 1984 and mine rolled off the line in August 1983.

The LX features 3 wipers, aircon (factory), rear slider windows...

What else?

Was the bull bar always aftermarket, what about the tow pack?

Was the dual battery only factory in Canada?

Do all the FJ/BJs of that generation have Hand Throttle?

Also what were the original tyre specs - 31" (ORD) on 16" Polished silver Rims?

IMG_2650_3.JPG

These wheels measure 28" Outside Rolling Diameter and I am told that the rims are "original"...

Any other characteristics of the BJ42LX from 83 I have missed?

depends on what market it was sold in.

some(AUS and Japan at least) have the cloth interior with the groovy striping on the seats, forward facing rear seat, padded doors, rear cargo area side covers, 3 wipers

no bull bar, no tow package, wheel might be OEM.....but they dont look quite right

31's seem tall for OEM but maybe

HT.....would guess yes

pic of interior of a LX, might not be a LX......only see 2 wipers
44345443.jpg

I could not find hardly any info, but here is what I believe: LX came with no factory rollbar, no windshield latches, it came with 3 wipers, forward facing rear seats, crazy striped seats, plastic paneling on rear walls, sliding rear windows, depending on year would determine wheteher it came with 5 speed, a/c, p/s. carpet I believe, I was wondering about the springs if they were any heavier due to 6 person capacity? Mine came with the same bullbar as yours but I believe it was added afterwards, dual batteries on Candian BJ's only. The LX style dash with factory tach came on FJ45's and 40's from 80 on I believe! If you yahoo BJ42 LX you will see a couple of pics, one is green with no air and 4 speed, and one blue which has it all! I believe all FJ's and BJ's came with hand throttle from AUS only. I dont believe N American models got that or FF axles? could be wrong? I would like to know how many LX's were produced? And where they ended up as of country's? No LX's but Just on BJ42's around 1983 I thought I read only 167 were imported to Canada???

Last edited:
BJ42 LX pics

here is one I found online when I yahoo'ed BJ42 LX. It is really sweet. The chrome rims might be factory on them, But mine does not have them? As you see this one does not have dual batteries neither!

Last edited:
the seperate insert dash was seen in 80 or 81 on the LX models, other 4x models did not get it untill 83

like the blue one you showed pics of. earlier 4x had a one piece dash like
like my 82 fj40
111024860.jpg

like I said, the seperate dash insert was used in all 4x from 83+ but it showed up in the LX version a few years earlier.

What do you mean by the seperate insert dash?

Hi All
I know the guy that owns the blue LX. It is sweet! The chrome wheels were standard on the LX and otherwise optional. It came with 3 wipers,factory tach,factory ac, factory digital clock, sliding side rear windows, and the glove box plug in light. The blue LX is from Australia and that is why it has the single battery. Canadian LX's are 24 volt systems and Aus. are 12 volt.Hope this helps.

Moe

Thx all, I have 85L tank as specified in my manual - but not sure if this is LX specific (the manual)...

That is a most informative summary Moe!

Thanks Will..

trying to figure out how my range/milage..

I have only filled it up with 52l so far.. and the needle wasn't quite at the E mark.. spose I should just take a jerry can with some fuel and run it dry (worried about all the crap in the bottom of the tank too..) to figure out exactly where teh guage is when its empty.. :p

I noticed something else, maybe LX specific, never seen one myself. Looking at the pic of the blue one and the pics of yours stardotstar, there is not a rear red clearance light.

Was the light dropped on the last body change Landpimp, or was it only deleted from the LX model like the other external stuff, ie. hood hardware and such.

Last edited:
Your right about the rear side marker lights for mine does not have them either! What is this about the glove box plug in light? How many gallons in 85L? Are the chrome rims split rims? inside or outside split if so?

There are a number of distinguishing characteristics. I've attached a link here to photos of my 1983 BJ42 LX with factory AC restored to near original condition in Mustard Yellow.

Notice the interior trim between the headliner and side walls, the handles on each side- one with a hanger hook for clothes, the rear brown plastic and rear door panels, the thicker sun visors, front bench split and rear forward facing bench split, 3 wipers, no rear side markers, brown artificial turf type rear carpet, 5 speed 3B Deisel, rear sliding windows, interior light door switch (light on when when door open), of course the brown zebra seats, intermittant wipers.

These all came with 16" grey split rims and tube tires. Many optioned for other toyota chrome wheels as a dealer installed option. There was about 5 radio options depending on market including one that was short wave only. These Austrailian were all 12v and not 24v like the Canadian BJs. Yes, there is a power light plug in the glove box. They did not come with the 5 speed shifter plate on the glove box, but rather a plastic sticker showing 4x4 transfer instructions only. No hood hooks, LX emblem on aprons, factory bumper step.

Also factory was a aluminum lip peice x2 under the hood where the front hood meets the front of the front body. This is usually where the paint would rub off, so they installed two of these peices which solved this problem. Oh and full floater axles with front disc brakes. All I can think of for now that was specific to the BJ42 LX. Here is a link to my pics.

BJ42LX pictures by btuman - Photobucket

Last edited:
JohnnyC said:
BTUMAN not all LX's came as you describe ... not all had 3 wipers, diesel :meh:
Hey JohnnyC- I know you are the expert on a lot of these things, so I defer to you mostly, but this thread was for the 1983 BJ42LX. I hope it was a Diesel. (BJ) ;)

I understand that 3 wipers were on all 1983 BJ42LX, but maybe others don't? There is one in the shop in OKC that has Two wipers, but not sure what year? I thought it has a different windshield frame due to replacement- but perhaps not. Not showing as an option on brochure online.

For different LX models (FJ) have read and seen pics here of other configurations including zebra rear side jump seats, two captains chairs zebra front seats with console and LX Badge in front of the Land Cruiser emblem on the aprons rather than after.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom