identifying a rear full floater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Canuck spec 77 fj45 I have has what seems to be a full floater but not the normal 45 FF. This one has the ebrake on the axle instead of the tcase. What's the best way for me to try to identify exactly which axle this is?

Junk said:
The Canuck spec 77 fj45 I have has what seems to be a full floater but not the normal 45 FF. This one has the ebrake on the axle instead of the tcase. What's the best way for me to try to identify exactly which axle this is?

WTF do you mean "seems to be a FF?"

It's either a FF or it ain't, surely you know how to tell the difference..........if not,
STOOPID!!! :D :D

Easiest way is looking at the axle flange & lug nuts... If it has the hub assembly protruding through (with an additional 6 nuts & studs), in addition to the 6 lug nuts set back in, then it is a FF.

If the axle end is flush with the rim and no extra nuts or studs are present (just the 6 lug nuts) then it is SF. The only dilema, when people run center caps...

Next, does it have a diff cover? 79' & later FF's didn't have a diff cover on the rear axle, not sure about the earlier ones as I have never seen an early FF firsthand.

Hope that helps... :D

Oh yeah, take a pic! :D

Let's see some pics!

Here is my 81. It has a split case and still has the ebrake on the case. I have heard of some 1984 40 series having it mounted to the axle.
107-0755_IMG.jpg

Junk said:

I'm guessing that it's the factory axle assembly that the PO modified to accept a p-brake when he put the NV4500 in. It had an e-locker in it at one time as well so clearly the guy knew how to mix and match parts.

http://www.cs.odu.edu/~glaves/chris/axle/

Jeez man what happened to the rest of the internet? JK

If it looks like this it's a full floater, because the axle can simply be unbolted and slid out with the wheel and tire still sitting on the ground. You don't even have to take off the diff cover to take out any clips. They are sweet. Snap an axle and easily replace it quick. ;)
float.jpg

Texican said:
WTF do you mean "seems to be a FF?"

Go stick your head back up Nolen's ass Texican. Yeah, it's a FF, what I meant was that it seems to not be from the 45. :doh:

lowenbrau said:
I'm guessing that it's the factory axle assembly that the PO modified to accept a p-brake when he put the NV4500 in. It had an e-locker in it at one time as well so clearly the guy knew how to mix and match parts.
That makes sense except the same owner also rigged the F engine to recirculate without the oil filter and a lot of other dumb things. So I'm thinking he was paying someone else to do the work.

Junk said:
Go stick your head back up Nolen's ass Texican. Yeah, it's a FF, what I meant was that it seems to not be from the 45. :doh:

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN THEN YA' DUMB ASS YANKEE :D :D

/QUOTE]
The Canuck spec 77 fj45 I have has what seems to be a full floater
/QUOTE]

HawkDriver said:
http://www.cs.odu.edu/~glaves/chris/axle/

Jeez man what happened to the rest of the internet? JK

If it looks like this it's a full floater, because the axle can simply be unbolted and slid out with the wheel and tire still sitting on the ground. You don't even have to take off the diff cover to take out any clips. They are sweet. Snap an axle and easily replace it quick. ;)

SO if you snap an axle it's easy to replace. So how easy is it to get the piece you snapped off out?

:confused:

Just curious.

Jeez, five non-readers who didn't understand the question.

Could it be an 80 series axle housing?

"SO if you snap an axle it's easy to replace. So how easy is it to get the piece you snapped off out?"
Never mind that, a better question is 'how easy is it to find a replacement axle?'

honk said:
Jeez, five non-readers who didn't understand the question.

Could it be an 80 series axle housing?

Never mind that, a better question is 'how easy is it to find a replacement axle?'

Yeah I get it now :flipoff2:

Trollhole said:
SO if you snap an axle it's easy to replace. So how easy is it to get the piece you snapped off out?

:confused:

Just curious.

Prob depends on the axle used. A BFM (Big Fawking Magnet), telescopic preferrably, if you're lucky and had a clean break, otherwise you're pulling the cover to push it out. Better bring empty containers for all that oil.

HawkDriver said:
otherwise you're pulling the cover to push it out. Better bring empty containers for all that oil.

Toyota floaters have no cover.

If the shaft breaks anywhere but right at the splines, you *have* to get it out through the tube.

Just a thought, but my hj60 and bj73 both have ebrakes on the rear housing rather than the tcase. On the rack, the only FF housings with ebrakes on them are from FJ60, HJ60, HJ73, and HJ75. Ill look but i think the 78/79 are the same. We had a 40 with 70 series running gear similar to what youre describing. Just a thought. Maybe just measure a few things like perches and stuff? Just an idea, Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom