Identifying a Frankencruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this fj40 last year. It was sold as a 72 on a 78 frame. The vin plate from the 78 is on the interior of the cab.

I am looking for so help narrowing down what year the majority of it is from

I believe the cab and most of the parts are pre 72 but I’m not certain what year. It doesn’t really matter to me I’m just trying to get a better understanding of what I have so I can make correct choices when I go to modify and change things.

Things that make me think it’s pre 72

-no brake booster
-single reservoir master
-firewall brace between clutch and brake masters

Things that throw me for a loop
-double elephant horns
-no horn button on steering wheel
-no top dash pad

Any help would be appreciated.
650FC885-9934-4DE5-85E9-3B939289AC9B.jpeg
7806A978-5F8E-4F9E-9034-DDED04575476.jpeg
7C651A51-3F98-4543-85E0-A02BF47162E0.jpeg
0EF58F16-FA3D-4868-AED1-59FD09A349CA.jpeg
A41B07AB-E560-4B9C-A294-6FDEB828F13D.jpeg

my WAG would put it as a 1969.
what frame # is stamped in the frame in the pass front, right behind the bumper?
is there a plate on the inner fender behind the battery?

my WAG would put it as a 1969.
what frame # is stamped in the frame in the pass front, right behind the bumper?
is there a plate on the inner fender behind the battery?

I am pretty confident the frame is from a 78. The the ID plate was removed from the passenger fender and you can see where it was mounted. There is an ID plate that was obviously put in drivers door jamb after the fact that is from a 78.

why are you confident the frame is from 1978? because the guy selling it said so??

another WAG is the entire rig is a 1969 and a PO could not figure out how to register it and had a 78 rusted out so he put the 78 tag on it and used it's title to make it "legal" , which it ISN'T.

is the stamped frame # still visible on the right front frame?

I could definitely be wrong.

The frame number can be partially made out on the passenger side and it looks like it starts with a 28. the rest is covered in what looks like a few layers of frame coating and part of it might be drilled through and ground down where they mounted the winch bumper.

the vin on the plate that is inside the door is 288076 so that is how I ended up feeling pretty confident the frame is a 78 but again I could be wrong and just trying to see what might not be there.

The kid who sold it to me said he bought it from an older lawyer at the lawfirm where he worked. Apparently the guy had owned it for a bunch of years and used to to travel between Spokane and his cabin or place he hunted somewhere in Montana. He told me originally it was a soft top version that didn't come with jump-seats for what its worth.

I'm hoping to find out a bit more info on the body and other parts. This all started when I went to look for the right brake booster for a 72' and couldn't figure out how it would fit on the firewall. I'm also looking to get the front bench seat. I figure the seats are probably all interchangeable but thought it might be best to try and identify what I have first.

going back to my first post, I'm guessing a 69 or very early 70
brake booster started mid year 1970 along with dual circuit brake system
intake manifold is 1969

if someone actually used a 78 frame and installed all the 1969 stuff on, it's alot of work for what was gained.
only difference in frames I can think of right now would be where the round tube behind the transfer is located.

makes it even funnier to me that a lawyer took part in the questionable title.

going back to my first post, I'm guessing a 69 or very early 70
brake booster started mid year 1970 along with dual circuit brake system
intake manifold is 1969

if someone actually used a 78 frame and installed all the 1969 stuff on, it's alot of work for what was gained.
only difference in frames I can think of right now would be where the round tube behind the transfer is located.

makes it even funnier to me that a lawyer took part in the questionable title.

The head has ports for the air rail just like my 9/67 68 model. Even has the same square headed plugs used in the ports. Think the wide intake ended 9/69.

Thanks for the replies!

the engine number is F 364445 which I got off the side of the block above the starter as well as from the plate on the valve cover. If I'm reading the info on SOR right that would mean it was made in 08/71.

Possibly a pieces together engine? The adapter used to bolt the oil filter to the intake manifold was 3/69-9/69. The four bolt was a oil canister type that was replaced by a spin on oil filter. It started with a adapter to use the four bolt to three bolt filter bracket. After that the intake was made for three bolt. The adapter would work on the 68 F145 to convert to a spin on filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom