Identify Wiring/connector 85 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

opg4759a

KB6FJ /AE
SILVER Star
Threads
I've been scouring through the forum and looking in all the documentation I can find but I'm not having any luck identifing a specific plug and where the wire should terminate.

What I'm looking at is in the wiring harness for the Idle Cutoff Solenoid there is a third wire with a green connector. In my rig it's not connected to anything and it's just hanging. I'm trying to figure out where it goes is it just another ground? or is it something else?

Edit the issue was resolved the offending wire is the connection to the thermal sensor on the exhaust manifold which kicks on the carb fan relay when you shut off the engine.

FJ60%20OPG%20wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Need a better picture -- Does the other end go to the Brake Master Cylinder cover ?

I'll get some more photos tomorrow.

The wiring harness runs across the bottom of the master cylinder. The ICS wiring has 3 wires bundled in it.

This wire doesn't connect to the Master Cylinder cover those wires are fine.

Not the Carb Fan wires?

sounds like it's the one going to the thermal sensor on the exhaust manifold. very common for it to get fried........you need to fix it or you'll be fixing a cracked manifold.:wrench:

believe me, the wire is a much easier fix! :lol:

i was just there in my 60 today, working on the same wire. going down the harness from the solenoid it joins up with the thermal sensor for the carb fan like orangefj45 said, and then it bundles up with the brake fluid cap wires. mine got cooked by the heat as well, an easy fix. if i remember correct, the 2 wires from the idol solenoid were green and yellow, then the carb fan wire was black.

So if the exhaust manifold thermistor goes, or the carb fan wire gets fried and your card fan doe snot come on... are you not only just looking at vapr locking the carb when the motor is warm... it also will mess with the ex-manifold and cause it to crack if ??? That explains alot

Mark

I'm scratching my head trying to find where the thermal sensor is on the exhaust manifold. Can someone snap a photo or diagram out where I would find it? This makes sense that this would be the connection.

Just to help clarify my first photo here are a couple more.

Here you can see the 3 wires the 2 for the ICS and the one I'm troubleshooting

FJ60%20OPG%20wiring%20%201.jpg

In my moving the wires the connector broke off so here are a couple of the connector.

FJ60%20OPG%20wiring%20%203.jpg

FJ60%20OPG%20wiring%20%204.jpg

And just to clarify here is the bracket on the front of the master cylinder that makes it look like it's part of the brake wiring but obviously it isn't.

FJ60%20OPG%20wiring%20%206.jpg

Yeah, prolly the conn for the thermal sensor, as Georg says. Turn the key to the "ON" position and ground the spade (in the 2nd pic) to any good ground and see if the carb fan (on the fender under the connector) comes on. If yes, that's the wire. If fan does not run, it may still be the wire, but could be other issues with the fan, but they rarely go bad.

Thanks for the help in identifying where it needs to go. I found after a lot of searching the sensor. I haven't had a chance to wire it up yet since I'm going to need to cut out a bunch of corroded wire in the wiring harness, but at least I know where to terminate it to. I will try and get a good photo of where it's at since it's not easy to spot.

Thanks everyone for helping me identify and troubleshoot this.

I was stoked to hear the carb fan come on after I got the wire fixed.

Just for reference for anybody else that runs into this.

Looking at the 2F from the drivers side the sensor is hidden under the intake manifold and to the immediate right of the first exhaust flange. It's very well hidden. The nut on the post is 7mm.

FJ60%20OPG%20wiring%20%207.jpg

FJ60%20OPG%20wiring%20%208.jpg

That wire is gonna get toasted again quickly unless you put some heat-proof covering on it - too close to the 500* degree exhaust manifold.

That wire is gonna get toasted again quickly unless you put some heat-proof covering on it - too close to the 500* degree exhaust manifold.

I am aware of that and I'm going to put in a permanent fix. This was just my test to see if I could get everything working or if I was going to have to go a different route.

Word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom