Identify this 4 speed adapter pic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
I'm starting to try to figure out how I'm going to approach my upgrade to a 4 speed, from 3 speed tranny, on my Chevy engine.

I have a 4 speed tranny to go in and this adapter. I have a line on an Advance Adapter aluminum bellhousing also, so I need to decide if I'm going with this plate, or the AA setup.

So my question is, does this look like a good adapter to use? Is it possibly old Downey? With 4 speed toyota clutch fork?

And, pardon my newbness, but this is a H42 tranny right? The one thats a be-atch to rebuild? (don't worry, I have a mechanic friend to help) ;)

Thanks,
Brian.
IMG_2834.jpg
IMG_2835.jpg
IMG_2836.jpg

GM flywheel housing with Toyota plate adapter mounted to it.

GM clutch fork.

Plate is something that many places made....

:meh:

Thanks Poser,

FWIW, I think I'm going to go with the AA bellhousing .

B.

help help help please.

Another question...

I went to look at the AA bellhousing and it turns out that the throwout bearing used with the AA bellhousing (Toyota TO bearing?) is larger than the one used on the 4 speed that I'm going to install. That is, the nosecone on my 4-speed is too small for that AA kit TO bearing.

The 4 speed I have was part of a SBC kit that used the Chevy bellhousing (photo above) and a plate adapter. I am gussing that the nosecone on my transmission has been turned down to work with a Chevy throw out bearing? edit: My nose cone is 1 3/8" diameter.

If that is the case I should be able to swap a stock nose cone back on, to make my transmission compatable with the AA bellhousing, which uses a Toyota TO bearing and clutch arm? The AA bellhousing I am looking at includes the arm, TO bearing, and clutch parts, so I should be able to figure it out from there.

Here are pics of MY 4 speed tranny with the "small" nose cone. Is this a custom nosecone, and all I need is a stock H42 nose cone to pop on there?

Thank you guys VERY much, this is tough to figure out for a noob!

:cheers: Brian.

P.S. is there anything else that I shoud be aware as I try to make all this work?
B.
IMG_2840.jpg
IMG_2843.jpg

Last edited:
attachment.php

You are missing one piece. It is a round ring that bolts to the top section of the gear retainer. When everything is bolted together, the ring fits in the open circle of the chev bellhousing.

Plowboy let me know that for the AA adapter to work, my starter must bolt to the block and not the bellhousing. AA wont work for me.
I will probably have future questions about getting a plate adapter to work.
Thanks dudes,
B.

judging from the machine work on the bell housing and the dowel pin thats a downey adapter.you cant mix and match choose one or the other ,get a parts list and go from there.block mounted starters are a dime a dozen and can be used with the downey adapter if you grind out the starter area .good luck

no ring needed with this plate adapter . the dowel pins do the alignment

plate adapter uses chevy fork ,chevy TO , and do some test fitting if using the plate adapter .make sure the dowels aren't to long. may can cause bad alignment and it will wear the splined part of your cluck disc loose in about 2 days ,also try to measure how far the tip of your output will stick into your crank i have found it is a good idea to not shove your pilot bearing in all the way .the tip of output comes up a little short . i leave it sticking out a bit to support more of the tip of the output shaft .
also check the lenghts of the bottom bolts used to hold the tranny to the plate adapter if slightly too long they will bottom out hitting the bellhousing also causing bad aligment
i pulled my plate off and just board the holes a little deeper in the bellhousing for clearance ,the plate adapter usually used allen cap bolts to bolt the tranny to it.

downey /AA aluminum bellhousing uses toyota TO,and toyota Fork

you can swap the front bearing retainers .

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info PBG.
You are a wealth of information! I actually had already saved some posts of yours detailing specific Chevrolet clutch part numbers, from about 5 years ago.

I've PM'd Tim from Downey and had the same answer. Its a Downey kit, which appears complete and useable. So it looks like I'm in good shape.

And your assembly instructions will help a lot.
Appreciated,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom