Ideas to help in this difficult time. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
I realize this is off-topic, but I think this is the place to get the most eyeballs. I've been trying to think of ways to make a difference for the people on the periphery of our daily lives that are being impacted by the shutdown. Many 200 series owners are people of means, and I realize many aren't, but for those that can I wanted to start a conversation about ways to help.

One idea I am personally implementing: I go to the same restaurants and sports bars frequently enough that I know many of the servers and bartenders by name, including some that I have met up with for sports leagues or other social activities outside their place of employment. I have decided to start with those folks by calculating roughly how much I have paid in tips over a given year and am starting to make some of my more liquid funds available to send them a "tips advance" for the coming year. Nobody wants a handout so I'm just framing as "here are your tips for the year, when things get back to normal I'll tip a bit less for a while."

Thats just one idea I had, but I wanted to see what others this community might be able to come up with to have an impact in support of the people we know but aren't close friends and family. Banish this thread to chit-chat if necessary but I at least wanted to start the conversation.

Last edited:
Good on you for doing this ! the restaurant business has been hit very hard as well as many others I know this personally because my business services restaurants and hotels ..so if their business is down so is ours. What I have been doing is when those who are doing curbside service and takeout and delivery post their ads on Facebook I share them and pass them along to try to drum up business for them ..there are lots of things we can do..
a friend of mine posted where elderly neighbors can put a green paper in their window if they're okay and yellow and red and so on if they need something..https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1150403358&ref=content_filter#.. I thought that was a great idea as well..
And PRAYING!

I realize this is off-topic, but I think this is the place to get the most eyeballs. I've been trying to think of ways to make a difference for the people on the periphery of our daily lives that are being impacted by the shutdown. Many 200 series owners are people of means, and I realize many aren't, but for those that can I wanted to start a conversation about ways to help.

One idea I am personally implementing: I go to the same restaurants and sports bars frequently enough that I know many of the servers and bartenders by name, including some that I have met up with for sports leagues or other social activities outside their place of employment. I have decided to start with those folks by calculating roughly how much I have paid in tips over a given year and am starting to make some of my more liquid funds available to send them a "tips advance" for the coming year. Nobody wants a handout so I'm just framing as "here are your tips for the year, when things get back to normal I'll tip a bit less for a while."

Thats just one idea I had, but I wanted to see what others this community might be able to come up with to have an impact in support of the people we know but aren't close friends and family. Banish this thread to chit-chat if necessary but I at least wanted to start the conversation.

I've done the same thing for people who I know will be hit hard during this time. Pretty sure I'm paid in advance for hair cuts for about a year. Definitely worth doing if you value the service you receive from someone on the regular. Stay safe and do your best to look out for others.

Donating food to food banks can go a long way right now. Simply not having to worry about putting food on the table can help a ton.

what will happen when you run out of money ?
bartender will give you tip ?

That’s the spirit.

what will happen when you run out of money ?
bartender will give you tip ?
What's goes around comes around. I've been in the bartending industry for a bit. We've had regulars help us when we needed it. We have also raised money and given it to them when they needed it.
Example being. We had some regulars and they were hit with a serious medical condition and didn't have the money to pay for the bill. We raised more than enough to cover the surgery and pay the bills while they recover. You become a family with those that frequent

We can all find small things to do. Start with your family, and work outward as your own resources allow. It's frustrating to see everyone looking to entities furthest away to solve problems (i.e. Federal government). If we all do our part to take care of those around us we can do much more than any charity or elected group.

In an effort to keep this thread 200 series related. I want to make sure everyone is aware of the efforts @TrekboxX is making is his area. David has re-tooled his shop and is making face shields for local hospitals. If you are in Northern California, and have the resources, he has a gofundme started. It's this kind of spirit that we should all share...and when this is all over, I hope it's a factor when you are faced with the option of buying some no-name product or a product made locally with pride and sacrifice.

If other vendors are making similar efforts, perhaps this would be the place for a mention.

I like it! I am on board! Just minus the 200 series. My expanding family has me looking very hard for one though.

Act locally. Take care of your old and not so healthy neighbors. I buy them food etc. so they are not exposed at markets/pharmacy’s etc...
Best I can do besides donate $$$$$$$$ while taking care of my family. Lucky to be still working.
Stay healthy my friends.

I saw a video recently where someone intentionally cut to the very front of a grocery store line. At first the person he cut would be somewhat upset, but then really changed his tune when the "cutter" paid for all of the groceries of the person who he just cut. A funny yet classy act.

Classy? It was a douche move if you ask me, just because he had the $ is a damn poor excuse. In fact if he would've came out to 4 flat tires I would not lose any sleep.

Classy? It was a douche move if you ask me, just because he had the $ is a damn poor excuse.

Douche move, seriously? Guy wanted to help someone out. And guess what, the cutter later found out the ones he cut did the same thing and paid it forward by repeating the "douche move."

But what about the other 25 or so inline? Never said cut either. Now if the offender would've gave the guy a C note and a list to get for him that's way different.

those guys have a show where they go around filming themselves cutting in line and paying for people's bills. I personally think they should just pay the bill not cut in line and go that route not to piss anyone off.
I think it would have been just as good an effect if they would just pay the bill and Skip The Cutting part just my opinion

Maybe do what gurus, shamens, motivational speakers, ect always say. Take care of your mental self first. People are getting rather extreme with their personal opinions. Even with some close friends I have to say whoa whoa. Back up and take a breath. After you make sure you are ok then make sure your close family members are ok. I'm talking about mental health right now. It's stressful and rich and poor people are starting to crack at week what ever this is I lost count. If you know someone that's alone or has a history of mental illness give them a call and reach out. It does not have to be some deep conversation just a hey how's it going. crazy times right. That will not cost you 1 cent. And for the love of God don't judge people. I really f#!&kd this up. Saw a lady coming out of the butcher with at least 10 huge bags of meat and eggs. She yelled back into the store open the car door its locked and it's pouring outside! The trunk opened and it was packed to the top with groceries. I was waiting in line outside the butcher in the rain and I got so angry. Look at this greedy women. And than 4 firefighters walked out and loaded more food into her mini van. I over heard their conversation. Half the food was for the station firefighters working overtime. The other half was being donated. If I just walked by I would have been talking about this crazy lady to my friends. That was a life changing moment for me. Yep I can be a jerk lets work on that. As said above if you have the financial means to support your local bars, restaurants, businesses do it. Also you can donate blood or plasma to. They really need it now. Also you get paid for plasma. Not my recommendation but someone I know told me when they where broke in their early 20's they would donate plasma and get twisted from one drink and wake up Saturday with $50 in their wallet? If you are donating money local is best. A lot of national charities end up being pennies on the dollar that go to the cause. That being said now is the time to open your wallet if you can afford it.

If you want something concrete that you can do, we're in need of PPE. I am an urgent care provider at one of the local seattle area hospitals. A very good friend and fellow mudder has been kind enough to 3D print some PPE face shields, but can only print the frames. I'm looking for some clear plastic sheets for the actual shield. 0.5 mm thick petg sheet is ideal but any plastic between 0.02 and 0.04 in thick ( roughly the same thickness as a soda bottle.) Maybe one of you engineer types has a laser cnc that can cut plastic? Even clear clean 2 liter soda bottles could potentially work. Thanks in advance!
shield-1 (1).jpg

Also, I fully support the tips in advance! Wasn't trying to say that wasn't concrete because for those people, it definitely is!

If you want something concrete that you can do, we're in need of PPE. I am an urgent care provider at one of the local seattle area hospitals. A very good friend and fellow mudder has been kind enough to 3D print some PPE face shields, but can only print the frames. I'm looking for some clear plastic sheets for the actual shield. 0.5 mm thick petg sheet is ideal but any plastic between 0.02 and 0.04 in thick ( roughly the same thickness as a soda bottle.) Maybe one of you engineer types has a laser cnc that can cut plastic? Even clear clean 2 liter soda bottles could potentially work. Thanks in advance! View attachment 2260489
Thanks @tincan45 . Yes, we are making face shields. It was so hard to get material, that when I found some I ordered a LOT. We are in full production making many thousands per day. Lexilla- contact me if you like. I can give you the rundown on the shields.

Thanks everyone. This is a great community and this thread is one of many examples!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom