Ideas on a new lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jlm43

SILVER Star
Threads
So I am trying to narrow down my lift options. Wondering what your opinions are. The search function helped but it also made things worse.

Want:
1) 1 to 2 inches of lift
2) Good ride on road, very well controlled ride on dirt roads and washboards.

I have heard that the OME's ride is ok but not very controlled on the dirt washboards. I also read that the FOR setup is the cats butt. But I really do not want 3+ inches of lift. Does FOR offer a coil package that isn't going to give me 3+ inches? I plan on running 285s and don't see a need to go any larger. I planning on doing something within the next 6 months or so, so I do have some time to look. Are there any good coils out there that would give me 1+ inch of lift? If that is the case, I would probably go with Bilteins in the stock size. I have had them on my other Yotas and love the ride. Thanks for the info.
J

The coil will give you the lift. The shock will handle the washboards. I would go with OME mediums and bilsteins. I had that setup on my 94 and loved it.

2.5" will give you IMO a nice little lift + staying comfortable in height.

The 2.5 mediums are also nice because you can stay at stock size tires if you want without making it look silly.
94 cruiser.jpg

You already have a LX450 which suppossedly has progressive rate springs from the factory (correct me if I'm wrong). If you are only going to be putting on 285's you could just put on some MAF 30mm spacers and that will give you just over 1" of lift. 1.18 or somewhere around there.

As far as shocks though you might have to do some research. If you don't plan to droop them all the way out ever you could just purchase stock replacements.

OME stock height kit or the OME 2.5 lift kit. No brainer.

Easy to install and there is nothing wrong with OME shocks. I found them to be fine, certainly no terrible on washboard.

If you are looking for only 1" lift, the stock height kit ARB1022 won't need any caster correction so the entire job would take you a hour or two.

I am in a very similar spot, ready to go right now though. My issue is that, my 97 is my DD and needs to fit into a parking structure with 6.5' clearance. I'd like to fit 285's and limit driveline issues as much as possible. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I thought OMEs were specifically designed for high speed washboards...

That's what they say. I was not impressed with their supposed specific design. That's not to say that it was any worse than any other lift setup, I just don't think it's better.

That's what they say. I was not impressed with their supposed specific design. That's not to say that it was any worse than any other lift setup, I just don't think it's better.

yeah my Js and Ls are stiff as a board, compared to the stock setup, but I kind of like it, reminds me of my 85 and 90 pickup suspension

I'd suggest OME 861/862 Low lift springs + Bilstein shocks

Yeah, I think the Ironman line is worth consideration as a OME-like alternative. They have a variety of spring options, and they are very affordable.

Also, they are cold-wound springs, which SHOULD provide greater longevity...

These guys sell them in the USA:
Camel 4x4 and Outdoor for 4x4 Parts and Accessories

There's a picture somewhere here that shows the Ironman spring next to the OME and it is a BIG difference in thickness!:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom