Ideas for wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The facts.

Stock wheels aren't forged.

Most, if not all, aftermarket truck wheels you see in this very forum are made in China so let's not throw stones in a glass house.

My opinion.

Stock wheels are cool (my mint set sit in storage), but the typically conservative OEM offsets and widths leave a lot of food on table for aftermarket companies to offer more appealing specs/designs.

If you buy from a reputable wheel brand, whether made in China/Thailand/Taiwan/Japan/USA/XYZ, you're going to be well served for many tens of thousands of miles of motoring.

I love my Black Rhino wheels by TSW. 37lbs each, but true and load rated up the wazoo. China made. Just like the carbon fiber bits in a Porsche Carrera GT. :D

Gl in your search!

I said "maybe" they are forged. The stock wheels on my Excursion are forged. 🤷‍♂️

Im aware that most aftermarket wheels are made in China. Thats what I said. So I don't know what you mean about "throwing stones"? The fact is the stock wheels are better QUALITY than any of the cast aftermarket stuff, and Id say the only aftermarket wheel that is better than the stock wheel is one that is fully forged. Aftermarket stuff may give you many miles of happy motoring on I-20, but when you hit a rock on Trail 21 at Windrock, and it does this to a steel rim.....

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_0954 2.JPG

...an aftermarket Chinese made cast wheel would have become a piece of scrap. I submit that the factory aluminum wheels would have survived these hits, but that the much of the cast aftermarket stuff wouldn't.

Im not saying I would never run an aftermarket wheel on my truck. Im a certified wheel whore and love all sorts of different brands. Ive been eyeing the Black Rhino "Rotary Forged" Stadium wheel. And any of them will work fine if your just cruising around the coffee shop. But when wheeling, I want something strong, like really strong. Because I just don't want to be changing a tire on the side of a mountain at 2 in the morning in the snow and mud because my wheel cracked when it hit a rock.

I said "maybe" they are forged. The stock wheels on my Excursion are forged. 🤷‍♂️

Im aware that most aftermarket wheels are made in China. Thats what I said. So I don't know what you mean about "throwing stones"? The fact is the stock wheels are better QUALITY than any of the cast aftermarket stuff, and Id say the only aftermarket wheel that is better than the stock wheel is one that is fully forged. Aftermarket stuff may give you many miles of happy motoring on I-20, but when you hit a rock on Trail 21 at Windrock, and it does this to a steel rim.....

View attachment 2573232
View attachment 2573233

View attachment 2573234

...an aftermarket Chinese made cast wheel would have become a piece of scrap. I submit that the factory aluminum wheels would have survived these hits, but that the much of the cast aftermarket stuff wouldn't.

Im not saying I would never run an aftermarket wheel on my truck. Im a certified wheel whore and love all sorts of different brands. Ive been eyeing the Black Rhino "Rotary Forged" Stadium wheel. And any of them will work fine if your just cruising around the coffee shop. But when wheeling, I want something strong, like really strong. Because I just don't want to be changing a tire on the side of a mountain at 2 in the morning in the snow and mud because my wheel cracked when it hit a rock.

9.9 out of 10 SUVs on the road today run cast alloy wheels.

And you can submit (better word is posit) whatever you want, but no cast/forged/steel/unobtanium wheels are impervious to physics.

We also don't live in a vacuum. Just because a forged wheel is forged doesn't make it auto better than a cast wheel because not all forged wheels are created equal, thus why I recommend you buy the brand. By and large, too many of these instagram forged wheel companies source their forgings from... China. The more reputable companies with history and R&D to support their products have relationships with the SoCal-based Aluminum Precision Products of the world. APP actually create forgings with a proprietary mix of boron, copper and nickel to make their 6061-T6 even stronger and lighter than a lesser 6061-T6 "equivalent". But all this quality comes at a cost where you're going to pay at a minimum $900-1K per corner. Thank you, made in China, for keeping more $ in my pocket. 9.9 out of 10 SUVs on the road today run cast alloy wheels.

Steel v. alloy wheels is a whole different ball of wax. I love the look of steel wheels. I can't stand their lack of uniformity in build and quality. Cheap is as cheap does.

P.S. BMW/Porsche/McLaren/Ferrari et al get most of their forged wheels now from Taiwan

Last edited:
I LOVE the look of a smooth steelie like the Wheel Vintiques smoothy or the fifteen52 steelie pictured on page one. Painted white so it looks like a 1985 hilux :cool:

1985_toyota_4x4_pickup_159120813787bc948261468a4e81FC4E6421-23DA-40C9-9DEB-26E5C7D1E2F1.jpeg

Personally I think the Bronze Icon Rebound wheel would look awesome with the Nightshade Blue Pearl.

Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
I do like the look of the bronze and "gold" wheels as well.

Does anyone know if the AEV Toyota wheels will fit on the 80 series?

Anyone know who makes these wheels? Would prefer to avoid spacers if possible. But I don't wheel this thing hard core so it's not a deal breaker.

View attachment 2574365
Whoa, I like the icons posted above but they look too modern, this is a good looking (to me) period correct wheel. It's also changing my mind on black wheels too. I'm sorry to tell you though, since I like them it immediately means they must be prohibitively expensive. For some reason I never like the looks of the cheap stuff.

Your stock wheels look amazing, I think it would be stupid to refinish those in anything. If you want refinished stock wheels, find a set in bad condition and redo those, then sell your mint ones. The stock wheels are a high quality aluminum, maybe even forged(?), and are way better than any of the aftermarket Chinese junk. The only thing I would replace them with is the 6 lug TRDs in your first pic, or 17" FJ Cruiser steelies or 16" Tacoma steelies.

Just my opinion.
No, the factory original wheels are not forged.

Documented by Engineering on this forum.

View attachment 2573019

@sxp this looks like your rig. Was on the Stealth page gallery

I believe that rig was @rickashay.

Here’s his build on EP. Good read.

mud build

I’m thinking about picking up these. Problem is there are only 4 (I want a set of 5), I don’t know the name/brand, and the one in this picture is is slightly damaged.
0BF68E8C-A7A2-460A-AE4E-558919FDE69B.jpeg

I just sanded mine down to remove the clear coat, repainted the dark grey insets and polished them up with some aluminum polish. Look great. I would keep the stocks wheels. They are strong and look good on the truck. I've never lost a bead, even running with valve cores out in the snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom