ideal size street wheels/tires on stock height (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello. A newbie to this site and enjoying the immense info... this is great.
Had an '83 FJ60 years ago. Loved it but too lazy to shift in city traffic. Gave it up and now back in the saddle with a nice '97. Wow-- what a nice balance of ruggedness, luxury, and nostalgia.

Looking for suggestions with an alternate set of wheels strictly for street driving. Like the look of slightly larger wheel say 18 or 19".
Stock height (no lift) and intend to keep it that way. Just want something to fill in the wheelwell a bit, and at the same time, hopefully not upset the ride comfort compared to stock sized. Hope this isn't a crime, and sorry to disapoint all the mudders and wheelers.

So what's an ideal larger size wheel/tire width/tire height combo?

Posting/linking to pics would be very helpful. So many wheels to choose from out there, though most are pretty hideous to me. Searching this site only brings up mudder wheels/tires, as it should I suppose.
Thanks so much.

285/75/16 will fill out your wheel well nicely in a stock setup IMO. Another common wheel choice is going to the Tundra, Sequoia, FJC 17" rim.

I put 275/70/16 Geolander ATS, my plan is for expedition I don't really need the big tires to rock crawl. Just trying to keep it stock so I can have all the power and not lose any with bigger tires.

Plus you said freeway why risk losing MPG and your speedo off. Just get the stock wheels it came with the michelin LTX they are the best for highway use.

305/70-16's - it's a 33" that fits without lift, plenty wide as well.

You keep your stock 8" wide wheel (pretty wide really, at least in comparison to 17" sequoia wheels), plus you get a gear from Slee to correct the speedo reading, 10 minute install.

That was my exact setup before the regear/lockers & going 35's

Actually about to post my old 305's Goodyear MT-R, (older tread pattern) FS with the gear - PM me if you want 'em all pretty cheap.
5 Mt-R's, one is brand new. Shipping would be enough that it would kill the sweetness of the deal, but otherwise a cheap way to see if it's for you.

I would (and did) keep the original wheels and get bigger tires to fill the wheel well. I went with BFG TA KO 285/75/16. They look rugged and drive great on the road.

If you want a custom look, maybe powder coat your wheels (black seems to be popular these days).

I like the look of bigger wheels on other SUVs (I had nice 20's on my Armada), just not on 80's.

IMG_2159.jpg

Wheels from Tundras (6 lug), Tahoes, and Yukons should work. Check out picks here on mud and on cardomain.com to see what others are doing.

Here are some pics from cardomain:
22's
20383660001_large.jpg

18's
6880940001_medium.jpg

custom 16's
24441300001_large.jpg

20's
23234740020_medium.jpg

blacked out stockers
33271080011_large.jpg

Last edited:
thanks all for the good suggestions with the 16" wheels, but I'm looking for a 2nd wheel/tire set with larger wheels, not just tires. I'm keeping the stock 16" set but want to swap them out from time to time just for a different street look. 17" seems too minimal a change so that's why I'm thinking 18".
20-22's seem overboard and goofy, at least to me.

ORdude, thanks for the pics and the cardomain suggestion-- there's quite a bit of variety there giving me some ideas.

came across a better-than-average wheel visualizer at:
Toyota Land Cruiser Wheels, Land Cruiser Wheels and Tires
kinda cool though wheel choices still limited.

based on numbers, I'm currently thinking either 265/65/18 or 275/65/18.
Tire choices are still good with this combo without going into the heavier 285 LT tires. I still gain slight increased diameter (from stock) without much weight or ride (hopefully) penalty.

Now to find a visually suitable set of 18" wheels. Something subtle, rugged, but still elegant without the ghetto bling. Turning a stout lumberjack to a dignified mall queen may not be so easy. I'll see what I can find...

Post some pics when you decide.

Consider throwing some BFG TA KO's on your new 18's when you get them. It will give you the rugged look and great functionality (on and off road).

Also, you may find more examples of 18's if you search 1st gen tundra wheels (2000-2006) on cardomain.

Last edited:
Heh, here are the 20" wheels my LC had when I bought it.

truckdriverside.jpg

I ended up going back to stock wheels with 265/75 tires.

I get a lot of flak from putting 18's on my FZJ80 but I like the look! Plus I have a fully built FJ55 and a fully built FJ40 oh ya... and a built FJ62... Although I am contemplating putting the Sequoia/Tundra wheel on with some 295/70/17 Toyo mud terrains and build it up more!?

Here is a pic of my FZJ80 with the Toyo A/T 285/60/18's and 18" Mojave Teflons... no bling ;)

just my $.02
GetAttachment[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom