ID these hinges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I believe these are for the square/flat FJ40 tire carriers... but they are clearly different. Can anyone clarify the application of these? Is the brown one from something/somewhere else?
IMG_20130907_115406_086.jpg
IMG_20130907_115448_811.jpg
IMG_20130907_115505_645.jpg

They are from the carriers pre-69, I believe. The 65 I just did had the same. I will post pics.

71 and earlier were a much heavier carrier. Just the the tub things started getting lighter. The main plate of the tire carrier was stamped with ribs to make it just as strong with thinner metal.

So this is proper configuration for the left and right side carriers? (I believe I am mixing a later right side carrier with earlier carrier hinges?)
IMG_20130907_153315_327.jpg
IMG_20130907_153307_757.jpg

early 60s hinges as confirmed by annie
DSC07669.jpg

71 and earlier were a much heavier carrier. Just the the tub things started getting lighter. The main plate of the tire carrier was stamped with ribs to make it just as strong with thinner metal.

The left side hinge in your top pic is exactly like the one on my 71 FJ40. The mfg date on the tag is April 1971. I know the history on this 40 going back at least 30 years. Unless it was changed very early on in it's life it is the original to the 40.

The body of the carrier does not look like the pics posted above. It is flat, with angle iron like ribs attached to the back side (the side between the spare and the tub).

Don

The left side hinge in your top pic is exactly like the one on my 71 FJ40. The mfg date on the tag is April 1971. I know the history on this 40 going back at least 30 years. Unless it was changed very early on in it's life it is the original to the 40.

The body of the carrier does not look like the pics posted above. It is flat, with angle iron like ribs attached to the back side (the side between the spare and the tub).

Don

that's what he's saying. the two carriers above were stamped so they could be made of a lighter setup, therefore, they are 74-75 and 72-73 carriers

are they extras?

now that they are identified, anyone want to get rid of the lower hinge on the one mounted on the passenger side?

just realized mine is broken and I would swap it out if easier than getting it welded.

Thanks,
Dukes

that's what he's saying. the two carriers above were stamped so they could be made of a lighter setup, therefore, they are 74-75 and 72-73 carriers

Maybe I mis-read the gist of the posts. I was understanding that the style of hinge with the nut on the bottom of the shaft (the early version of the hinge) possibly ended with the 69 model year. I posted this just to let people know that the early style hinge did make it into at least the early 71 model year.

My apologies if I mis-read things.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom