ID my rear axle: 70 series FF + Disc brake + parking brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
So a few years back I bought this axle and I am finally getting around to cleaning it up and rebuilding it. It will, of course, be far easier to source parts once I am sure what it came out of.

It is a full float 70 series rear with disc brakes (and parking brake)

I'm going to try to dig up the original purchase info but I suspect that is long gone into the interwebs trashbin.

IMG_20201225_145929274.jpg
IMG_20201225_144226149.jpg
IMG_20201225_145936870.jpg
IMG_20201225_150944806.jpg

Hmmm, makes me wonder if it would be possible to adapt those disc parts to an older
BJ74 FF drum rear axle?

Hmmm, makes me wonder if it would be possible to adapt those disc parts to an older
BJ74 FF drum rear axle?
That sure is the implication from the drawings, showing the same axle and parts with just the drum vs disc difference....

BJ74 FF drum rear axle?

I was thinking the same thing once I saw the backing plate.

Let me know if you want any measurements while I have this apart.
Thanks. There have been lots of off screen conversations about trying to do this to my 60 or my 74.
What has become obvious, especially in the light of my recent purchase of a 2nd Gen Tundra. Toyota does a lot
more crossXpart use than we know or have proven. If only it was as easy as going to a parts 'conversion' list.
I have no doubt it would be easy to replace drum parts with disc parts, bolt on even. Just doesn't justify
the cost now.

And you still would not have better rear brakes.
Are you saying the rear DB on these 70 axles are not "better" than the rear drum brakes on the 60 series?

Im saying the 7* series rear disc does not have more stopping power than the 60 or 7* series drum brake. I've owned them all.
The real benefit from disc brakes is less fade because they can stay cooler, but this is only useful on long hills with heavy loads. And of course disc brakes are generally easier to maintain. But I would never swap a disc unless I was doing a ground up rebuild and I had a spare disc brake rear hanging around.
In plain , I don't think the benefits of a swapping a drum for a disc is worth the effort or expense.
On my 73 series I put new drums , new shoes , new master and slave. Once bled and adjusted, they were terrific.

Understood. In my case this is going into an FJ45LV build. The truck will be a long range trip truck with some mid-level trails.

I want to gain rear wheel parking brake and a full float when I swap over to a non-parking brake transfer case. The DB was a bonus that I am happy to have. The whole package ticks all of those boxes. My other options for these items while staying Toyota were slim. I didn't want to use a 60 or 80 series rear, late 40 series SF with parking brake was an option, this one popped up and seemed like a good choice for my needs.

I think we can all agree upon one thing, it’s nice to have other options as things become discontinued.

Got a pic of this truck? Know a guy who likes the old LV’s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom