I'd like to share the cargo/sleep platform for the 80 Series, available from GX Basecamp (forum vendor)... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there folks! I haven't been particularly active in this forum before as I'm a GX driver. I'm also the creator of the GX Basecamp platforms currently available for a number of popular overland rigs. We recently released our platform build manual for the 80 Series LC/LX so I wanted to introduce myself and our product to the folks here. Please shout if you have any questions!

A few salient points:
  • Our platforms are designed to accommodate popular storage solutions like the FrontRunner Wolf Pack
  • The sleep extension is an option if you're looking to camp in your rig. (If not, save some cash and build just the cargo area platform.)
  • Our build manuals offer detailed, step by step instructions including links to purchase the necessary parts for your build.

Here's the first build which has been out in the wild for a few weeks now:
238834621_233535838669560_5821926960592059391_n.jpg

D0E9F3CB-47FC-4F24-9843-BF937D9B2A7F_1_105_c.jpeg

14096971-7A48-4BC9-BBF4-FEAA78593F0F_1_105_c.jpeg

Hi there folks! I haven't been particularly active in this forum before as I'm a GX driver. I'm also the creator of the GX Basecamp platforms currently available for a number of popular overland rigs. We recently released our platform build manual for the 80 Series LC/LX so I wanted to introduce myself and our product to the folks here. Please shout if you have any questions!

A few salient points:
  • Our platforms are designed to accommodate popular storage solutions like the FrontRunner Wolf Pack
  • The sleep extension is an option if you're looking to camp in your rig. (If not, save some cash and build just the cargo area platform.)
  • Our build manuals offer detailed, step by step instructions including links to purchase the necessary parts for your build.

Here's the first build which has been out in the wild for a few weeks now:
View attachment 2781298
View attachment 2781299
View attachment 2781301
How much?

I have a couple of questions before I pull the trigger:

1) It looks like the extruded legs are a little shorter than they could be or should be. Am I wrong about that, or is there a reason for that?

2) How necessary is the use turnbuckle to hold the platform down at the rear of the vehicle? It looks like it might interfere a bit with getting gear out from underneath the platform.

3) will that fit an Exped double sleeping mat-- roughly 52 inches wide? That might actually be what the picture is. but I can't tell.

Thanks

Jared

edit-- width of mat/

I have a couple of questions before I pull the trigger:

1) It looks like the extruded legs are a little shorter than they could be or should be. Am I wrong about that, or is there a reason for that?

2) How necessary is the use turnbuckle to hold the platform down at the rear of the vehicle? It looks like it might interfere a bit with getting gear out from underneath the platform.

3) will that fit an Exped double sleeping mat-- roughly 78 inches wide? That might actually be what the picture is. but I can't tell.

Thanks

Jared
1. You can make the legs as long or as short as you'd like. We chose the length so that when the sleep extension panel is flipped out, it's relatively flat. I believe the slant you see in the pics is due to the leg height not being dialed in exactly yet (they're adjustable within about a 1" range — if you're concerned, you could add 1/2 - 1" to the measurements in the manual.

2. That's a personal choice. We'd HIGHLY recommend finding some way to secure the platform so that, in the event of an accident, it doesn't go flying. There are other mounting points you could use — the 3rd row seat mounts are an option or you could unbolt the 3rd row seatbelts and put a tie-down point in there (we've done this on our GX470 drawer build)

3. I don't know if that's an exped brand pad in the photo (it was sent by the buyer of the first platform). The measurements of the finished platform are on the website. I assume when you're referring to 78", you're talking about the length. The platform fully extended as designed is about 60", BUT there is room to add further extension behind the front seats. We did the original design to utilize the second row seatbacks as support for the sleeping pad. If you didn't want that, you could make the sleep extension longer.

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking width, but mistakingly gave the length measurement.

It occurs to me in looking at the photos some more that this person has aftermarket seat covers on his second row seats, and maybe that prevents the seats from laying as flat as they normally would, and that might explain why this guy had to extend the "feet" at the bottom of the legs as long as he did to get the platform level with the extension.

Jared

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking width, but mistakingly gave the length measurement.

It occurs to me in looking at the photos some more that this person has aftermarket seat covers on his second row seats, and maybe that prevents the seats from laying as flat as they normally would, and that might explain why this guy had to extend the "feet" at the bottom of the legs as long as he did to get the platform level with the extension.

Jared

That's possible. I was only able to measure one sample vehicle to create the prototype, so I'm dependent on what I learned from that vehicle. I'd encourage you (and this is mentioned in the manual) to double check the measurements in your vehicle to ensure any fine tuning that's necessary is accounted for. That said, I would not expect any dramatic differences that would render the build manual unusable.

Yeah that is what he is trying to sell. Just the plans I guess a "cut sheet" to make a sleeping platform. You still have to do all the work. lol

A "cut sheet" doesn't exactly cover what we've put together. That said, if it doesn't suit your needs/interest...no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom