I'd like to remove my fanbelts and install an electric fan. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To what end?

You're not a street racer going for extra HP by doing this (have a e30M3, '68 Camaro - I get it).

These are the iron pig for a reason - the 1FZ does maybe 175HP @ the wheels, through an AWD system. The electrical system has a ~80 amp alternator you want to tax further.

And for $$.

Add to that you are enjoying the redundancy of dual belts & a well documented way to revive your VC fan unit - so again, why?

------------------------------

While I'm asking 'why' to this, I'm going to ask 'WTH' to 200+ posts in ~15 days???
Without looking it appears you're all over the place - new owner excitement?

Pick a few key spots, start with quality improvements & PM.
---Unless you have a trust fund, no wife & kids, and a rock garden on the back 40. Then by all means, have at!

This has been debated ad-nauseum on this board. But to answer your question in literal terms.. if you remove the fan belts you won't have a working water pump or alternator anymore.

Highlights of prior debates:
water crossings will kill the fans if you don't remember to shut them down first
Electric generally improves low-speed AC
total cooling capacity of electric fans can't match a well set up stock fan (meaning working clutch, tight belts, shroud in good shape, etc).. BUT... electric fans can go ape**** at idle, unlike a mechanical fan
electric produce a noticeable bump in power and reduced noise (as Linus said.. go get a porsche if you want to go fast)

But.. if they are better, wouldn't toyota be putting electric fans on $80k+ new cruisers? hint: they have a small electric fan for better AC but primary engine cooling is still done by a mechanical setup.

Knock yourself out, it will be awesome for your track car conversion! Most Cruiser owners wont understand it, they mainly look for things like solid reliability, powerful cooling, simplicity, etc, that a belt setup excels at.

These are the iron pig for a reason - the 1FZ does maybe 175HP @ the wheels, through an AWD system. The electrical system has a ~80 amp alternator you want to tax further.

Electric fans are hardly something he should worry about when people are taxing that same 80 amp alternator with winches, light bars, HAM radios, stereo systems, refrigerators, USB charging ports, and color changing LED lights to make their water bottles look cool in their newly installed 3D printed 7th cup holder.

Your best bet is to get a factory fan setup from something like a Taurus or a Lincoln Mark VIII that can flow almost 5000 CFM and use a DCC controller to run it.

Custom Electric fans Setups - Mark VIII, Tuarus, and Dual Ramcharger - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Welcome to Delta Current Control

I have used this setup on several cars over the years and it always keeps them cool. These are nothing new in the Mustang world and countless people have used similar setups to cool everything from stock vehicles to 1000+ HP monsters that can happily idle in traffic even in the worst parts of the nation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom