I'd Like To Add Sirius XM To Radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Youll have to add an aftermarket radio most likely. If you have Nav you'll have to delete the Nav first.

It's possible to get an XM receiver, tuner, and antenna then use an AUX to the cassette player as well.

Those are the only two options I can think of.

Edit: the third option would be to subscribe to the streaming XM service and then stream from your phone thru AUX into the cassette deck. Downside is you'd only be able to listen where you have phone service.

I just deleted my nav the installed aftermarket radio and added my XM tuner and antenna.

I don't have nav and would rather keep the factory radio. Do you have a suggestion on which receiver/tuner might be compatible? I've looked at the Sirius stuff but it doesn't show that it's compatible with my LC.

The one I just posted would work.
Honestly, if you don't have NAV it is EASY as pie to put an aftermarket radio. It'd be inexpensive and would be a big upgrade. The sound quality would be MUCH better than anything else. Not to mention you could get Bluetooth for your phone to stream over and handsfree calling.

The Best Buy link I posted would work. It won't show that it's compatible because there's no way to hardwire it in directly (to my knowledge).
You'll be running it through the cassette deck which is 1998 technology.

Maybe I should look into replacing the radio. I'm extremely electronically challenged. Is there a head unit that is a plug and play?

Maybe I should look into replacing the radio. I'm extremely electronically challenged. Is there a head unit that is a plug and play?
I would recommend Crutchfield. Enter your vehicle info and they will show you the Double DIN units that are an exact replacement. For features select the Sirius XM option in the search field. You will then have to buy the Sirius XM tuner that plugs into he back. They are around $40 but they usually give a rebate and a few months free service. Good luck

You could add a BT45-toy to your existing system. This would add Bluetooth capability for your phone (calls and playing/streaming music) and it has an aux input so you could possibly plug in a Sirius radio. Install is pretty easy. But I used a cassette adapter for several years with a Sirius radio. Worked fine.

Chris

@Weezer there's good info in that thread, but don't use that though.

The person that did that install didn't have the wiring harness that you ordered . It'll be much easier than that. You do NOT want to cut any of the wires. You'll disconnect the harness from the back side of the stock radio, then you'll connect the harness you purchased to the harness that comes with your aftermarket radio. Once that's done you'll plug the harness you purchased into the side that you unplugged from the stock radio (the wires coming from the dash) and then plug the other side into your radio.

Again, do NOT cut wires!

Last edited:
My thread above was specific to removing the stock amplifier. If you do that (you should really, it's old), you'll have to cut wires and it's super easy.

I agree. I just got done doing that job myself. But it was stated that he has little electrical know-how and I was thinking he'd prefer to keep it simple.

7CF6BD38-1E64-44E4-A925-0FDBA606D74E.jpeg
I added Sirius XM without deleting nav or adding the BT45 module.

Metra 70-8113 Receiver Wiring Harness

JVC KW-R930BTS

That wiring harness and that radio. Then you'll get the XM radio tuner for about $40 or so.

You'll have about 4 wires to connect. And then the two pair of RCAs. Would take about 25 minutes.
The wires, I believe, will be color coordinated. Red, yellow, black, and blue.
Skip JVCs. Been there, done that. They wash out way too much and are unusable in sunlight. I'm running a Pioneer now, no washout issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom