Icons 2.5 to replace OME Lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went from OME to Icon 2.5 back to OME on my Taco. Both front coilovers leaked after about 20k miles. I did 2 Death Valley camping trips in that time which the Icons performed flawlessly on. For the cost I will stick with OME. I cannot afford to have my truck on blocks in the garage every 12-15 months because the coilovers need to be rebuilt. I was not impressed!

I went from OME to Icon 2.5 back to OME on my Taco. Both front coilovers leaked after about 20k miles. I did 2 Death Valley camping trips in that time which the Icons performed flawlessly on. For the cost I will stick with OME. I cannot afford to have my truck on blocks in the garage every 12-15 months because the coilovers need to be rebuilt. I was not impressed!

Was it awesome for the 20k miles? Why not put stock shocks as backups? I have 2 Land Cruiser and will be thrilled if these live up to the amazing reputation even if I have to revalve every 20-40k miles. OME is too firm for my liking.

Was it awesome for the 20k miles? Why not put stock shocks as backups? I have 2 Land Cruiser and will be thrilled if these live up to the amazing reputation even if I have to revalve every 20-40k miles. OME is too firm for my liking.
Yes, the Icons felt pretty plush on and off road. I drive coast Highway 1 in Big Sur everyday. 35 miles of curvy pavement and 3-10 miles of dirt mountain roads every few days. I would have kept stock as backup if they hadn't gotten destroyed in house fire.
And yes the OME feels much stiffer. Dampening on OME doesn't feel as refined....BUT I'll never have to spend the money to have them rebuilt. I prefer the Lifetime warranty.
I will be putting OME on my LX470 and GX470.

I used to think that OME lasts a lifetime but recently talked with Slee Offroad and they recommend changing them every 100k miles. They said it goes bad its just harder to tell over a long time. I was surprised initially by this but I guess like everything it has a life to it.

Personally, I would rather give up reliability for the best ride out there. If they start failing very rapidly I may buy a second set as backup. I wonder why they are unable to engineer these things to last much longer.

Decided to go with Stage I kit because did not want to mess with upper control arms. I lose the ability to change on the fly but I can have it revalved for free in first 12 months if its not soft enough. At the moment it is being paired with my OME medium lift spring.

I kept the CDCV option for my 200 although it may be $900 overkill.

It turns out that Stage III would have worked without upper control arms for heights less than 2." Makes me feel bad about cancelling that purchase. Although I don't know if its worth the extra $1300 for street riding compared to stage I.

I am still debating this, can anyone give insight? I am looking for ULTIMATE STREET suspension esp at high speeds (80-110mph). I have stage I's (not installed) but wish I had stage III with CDC. I don't want OME stiff/harshness but want OME sport ride or better. I plan to leave OME 1.5" spring kit.

Last edited:
@Reckless I have stage 3's, Even at the stiffest setting, I wish It was a little stiffer for when I drive 85+ really loaded down. that is a rare instance though. I recently installed stiffer 864 coils and it has improved the ride IMO. But I haven't had it loaded down since new springs installed either.

I am planning on returning my stage 1 kit to get stage 3

Anyone have an idea on the extended and compressed measurements for the Stage III icons? I'm getting real conflicting information between shocks companies, and I know the lengths should be correct on the LC100.

Anyone have an idea on the extended and compressed measurements for the Stage III icons? I'm getting real conflicting information between shocks companies, and I know the lengths should be correct on the LC100.

Shock Length Thread

I have icons to replace my AHC 00 LX. 80% street. 20% heavy trail use. And love them. Also have icons on my tacoma which have always felt too stiff. As far as 80-110mph your driving the wrong vechile.

I'm able to currently drive 80-105 mph with 1.5" OME better than my stock 200.

I am not doubting anyone on their driving experience or capabilities. I'm not doubting your rig either. I drive hard off road, but these girls are sluggish pigs at that speed. I'm a flatlander here in Oklahoma, and chug along for most of my highway time. I am also the guy getting passed by minivans when cruising the Rockies. 2 1/2" total lift, 2.5 icons, OME torsions, OME rear, on 295 mud terrain.

I had my AHC removed by SLEE and the OME 1.5 Medium lift kit installed in my 2000 LX470 with diff drop kit and SPC UCAs. It came with the OME Nitro Sport shocks which reminded me of my 56 Dodge Power Wagon as far as ride goes. After much thought I replaced them with stock Toyota LC shocks and have been very happy after 30,000 miles with only occasional off-roading. If I was going to to move up, I think I'd bite the bullet and go with ICON Stage-3s.

Keep my Stage 3's 3 clicks from the softest setting, love it at 85. Feels like a trophy truck.

I have been running the Icon 2.5 remote resivors for a year. I have a ARB, 12.5k winch, and a group 31 battery up front. The ride is excellent.

Keep my Stage 3's 3 clicks from the softest setting, love it at 85. Feels like a trophy truck.

Thank you for responding! This is the type of responses I am looking for. I want my car to feel like a trophy truck but after doing alot of searching on the forum - I hardly seen any exciting, passionate opinions about the Icons. Everyone writes very short sentences that feel very reserved. Do you feel that way on the road or off the road?

Right now, my feeling is that Stage I won't get me the Trophy truck like feel on the street. I think I have to go stage III.

I have been running the Icon 2.5 remote resivors for a year. I have a ARB, 12.5k winch, and a group 31 battery up front. The ride is excellent.

Thanks for responding. I have been debating about putting the deluxe winch ARB bumper on my 200 (I have one not installed) - only reason I haven't is because I am worried about high speed handling 110-120mph. I ordered the 2.5 resi's front and rear for it on cyber monday. On the 200 forum they are describing the bumper like putting a fat chick on the front - basically affecting the driving dynamics too much. What's your take?

Thanks for responding. I have been debating about putting the deluxe winch ARB bumper on my 200 (I have one not installed) - only reason I haven't is because I am worried about high speed handling 110-120mph. I ordered the 2.5 resi's front and rear for it on cyber monday. On the 200 forum they are describing the bumper like putting a fat chick on the front - basically affecting the driving dynamics too much. What's your take?

The bumper didn’t change my driving dynamics. However I did install the OME torsion bars. I think the winch, and battery would have the biggest impact due to weight. In general forums tend to over dramatize modifications. This bumper is around a 2% change to your overall weight. The handling on my 100 is much tighter. I enjoy driving fast on washboard, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom