Icon Stage 3 Suspension Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm going to be installing an ICON stage 3 system on my '96, but I'm not sure if the springs that come with the kit can handle the weight I'm gonna have (about 6500lbs). I'm trying to figure out if I need heavier load springs (maybe OME 863 or 864 for the rear). If I do this, I'm concerned that it might be higher in the rear. I'm planning on installing a 4x4labs rear bumper with 2 swingouts (tire and ladder with 2 jerry can holder), ikamper Skycamp2, a roof rack, ARB front bumper with winch, white knuckle sliders, and maybe a refrigerator inside. Would the Icon springs be enough or will I need heavier springs? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

It will sag and will lean on one side if heavily loaded. Even with the supplied trim packers. I added another 10 mm to compensate lean. Its leveled out when not loaded. But when its fully loaded. Like i said, sags and leans. It rides really well though.

I had the same results as @ARB777. Added 30mm trim packers to the front and rear driver’s side.
As far as load handling goes; I have a 24 gallon aux tank. When I have a full fuel load (aux and main) the front is approximately 1/2” higher than the rear. Even when moderately loaded for a weekend trip with full tanks it doesn’t droop much further than 1/2”
Also be aware that the 3” kit is realistically a 4” lift.
Ride is fantastic.
A85D17A7-C35A-4CA6-A598-D168895D7428.jpeg

Last edited:
Im running the icon stage 3 on one of my vehicle. With all the junks i have on (roof rack, bumper, and 300lb of gears), it's sack about 1.5 inch.
20200426_122438.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll definitely put those spacers in for lean.

Another quick question, did you guys extend your bump stops? If so, what lengths? I'm gonna be running 35s so I'm trying to figure out what size I need.

I'm running stage 1 however I experienced some sag while running an RTT/Drawer system/summit cruisers tire carrier with 35s

IMG_4818 (1).JPG

Top: c97-145vt's recommended by David at Dobinsons - been great so far!!
Bottom: stock icon springs

80 builds are trending much heavier these days than they used to a decade ago when OME was the go to suspension. The Icon coils are nice but really aren't a good match for heavier trucks. They seem to do well on trucks with only minimal extra weight, like just sliders and maybe a front bumper.

I ran OME J springs for years (same rate as 863's) and they sagged 1-2" when loaded and had LOTS of body roll. I had 2" spacers to compensate and didn't realize how bad the handling was until I installed my Slinky suspension. They've been by far the best springs I've experienced on a heavy truck that isn't always loaded to the gills. Still ride great unloaded and don't sag when packed heavy. The handling of the truck is not even worth comparing because it's so much better than with the OME J's.

Might be worth looking at given your setup and use. Here's my 3" Slinky's fully loaded (drawers, fridge, tire carrier, 37" spare, fuel can, CO2, trailer and 6 people in the truck (ok 5, I was taking the pic). Less than 1/2" difference in ride height when the truck is unloaded.
IMG_2342 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I'm running stage 1 however I experienced some sag while running an RTT/Drawer system/summit cruisers tire carrier with 35s

View attachment 2308775

Top: c97-145vt's recommended by David at Dobinsons - been great so far!!
Bottom: stock icon springs

Thanks that was super helpful because I ordered those exact same Dobinsons on Friday and they look great in your picture. Looking forward to it! Are you running any bump stop extensions?

80 builds are trending much heavier these days than they used to a decade ago when OME was the go to suspension. The Icon coils are nice but really aren't a good match for heavier trucks. They seem to do well on trucks with only minimal extra weight, like just sliders and maybe a front bumper.

I ran OME J springs for years (same rate as 863's) and they sagged 1-2" when loaded and had LOTS of body roll. I had 2" spacers to compensate and didn't realize how bad the handling was until I installed my Slinky suspension. They've been by far the best springs I've experienced on a heavy truck that isn't always loaded to the gills. Still ride great unloaded and don't sag when packed heavy. The handling of the truck is not even worth comparing because it's so much better than with the OME J's.

Might be worth looking at given your setup and use. Here's my 3" Slinky's fully loaded (drawers, fridge, tire carrier, 37" spare, fuel can, CO2, trailer and 6 people in the truck (ok 5, I was taking the pic). Less than 1/2" difference in ride height when the truck is unloaded.
IMG_2342 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I ended up getting some Dobinsons for the rear, but those slinkys look awesome as always. After reading your slinky posts I realized I probably should've gone with a full slinky kit but I had already bought the Icons o_O. Can't complain though, both are great.

Who here has purchased Slinky springs recently? I have a full icon stage one suspension set up but need to replace the Icon springs with HD Slinky springs, as it now sags when loaded after installing front/rear bumpers/sliders etc.

Seems like most places that used to retail them either don't anymore or they are sold out.

Who here has purchased Slinky springs recently? I have a full icon stage one suspension set up but need to replace the Icon springs with HD Slinky springs, as it now sags when loaded after installing front/rear bumpers/sliders etc.

Seems like most places that used to retail them either don't anymore or they are sold out.

give Erin or Albert a call at mill creek automotive
They are the new NA distributor for slinky products. Super nice and helpful folks.

https://m.facebook.com/MillCreekAutomotive/

Redline and EHO are no longer Slinky dealers. Mill Creek Overland is the US Distributor now for all Slinky products. That's where you can get them.

Edit: jfz80 beat me to it. didn't see that before responded.

Redline and EHO are no longer Slinky dealers. Mill Creek Overland is the US Distributor now for all Slinky products. That's where you can get them.

Edit: jfz80 beat me to it. didn't see that before responded.
Yep, just the road blocks I was dealing with. Appreciate it, ordered through Erin at Mill Creek, super nice people. Only had the rears in stock at the moment, so will see how it works with just those in first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom