Icon 80 series performance suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who's running their complete suspension kit?

iconvehicledynamics.com/shop/complete-suspension-systems/713-1991-1997-toyota-land-cruiser-80series-3-suspension-system-stage1.html

-What are your impressions of it?
-How is the ride quality compared to stock or other spring/ shock combos you've used?

Redline Cruisers is trying to get a group buy together so hopefully we can use this thread to gather as much info as possible from those using the kit.

I have the Stage 2 set up with my Slee 6" lift.

it's Friggin Double :rainbow::rainbow:awesome.

way better than the OME nitro's I had before, and the Bilstein's before that.

but yeah, there's a few threads out there with all sorts of tech discussions but the quality is great, and the guy that developed them drives an 80...

I have the Stage 2 set up with my Slee 6" lift.

it's Friggin Double :rainbow::rainbow:awesome.

way better than the OME nitro's I had before, and the Bilstein's before that.

but yeah, there's a few threads out there with all sorts of tech discussions but the quality is great, and the guy that developed them drives an 80...
Thanks for your response. I tried searching but must have overlooked the threads.

I'm sorry, I miss read your question... you meant the Icon coils & shocks rather than the Slinkies. There is one that I know of that posted buying a set. He posted it on the what did you do with your 80 weekend thread & here in this link or the other one,
80 shock thread - familiar territory could use update
Sorry I don't have the time to find it right now.

Last edited:
I just installed my stage 3 icons. Coming from old worn shocks and springs, it is so much better. It does a lot better in corners now. Havent had a chance to play with the dial yet. No trail test yet. Ride feels a bit stiffer compared to the old set up. I have no experience with other set up like OME. I might need some stage 1 for my other cruiser so keep us posted on the group buy.

Here are some pictures. 285s looks small on it. I am wondering if i can fit 37s without trimming.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Been doing some homework on this set up vs the one from Autocraft, as I already have the 2.0 shocks on my 80 but with OME springs. The shock canister and shaft are different between the 2 set ups, so it's not as simple as switching springs around. The Icon springs are meant to ride a little higher than the autocraft ones, with more up travel and less droop. Meaning travel should be similar (maybe the same? still looking into that one) but the icon springs use the stock bumpstops, whereas the autocraft ones use their own.

I don't have a very heavy build, which is more what the icon springs are meant for, and I already have the shocks - so I'll be going down this route for the upcoming road trip/Rubicon run so I should have a decent shake down on them in a couple months.

I just installed my stage 3 icons. Coming from old worn shocks and springs, it is so much better. It does a lot better in corners now. Havent had a chance to play with the dial yet. No trail test yet. Ride feels a bit stiffer compared to the old set up. I have no experience with other set up like OME. I might need some stage 1 for my other cruiser so keep us posted on the group buy.
That's good info. Thanks for your response
Here are some pictures. 285s looks small on it. I am wondering if i can fit 37s without trimming.

View attachment 1276929

View attachment 1276930

View attachment 1276931

View attachment 1276932
That looks great. I'm probably going to keep my 315's if I purchase this setup. I would love to see some 37's and how they preform with it.

Definitely try to read the shock thread, at least the later pages when the Autocraft and Icon suspension talk gets rolling. I am waiting for Justin at Red Line to get back to me about my 80 (he sells the ICON kit and the Autocraft kit). I am afraid the ICON stage 3 does not have heavy enough springs for my rig (lots of add ons), so I may just be going with the ICON stage 3 shocks and keeping my FOR springs for now, or with ICON shocks spec'd out to Autocraft's set up. Then, as a future step, switch to the Autocraft slinky coils. It's a very big investment and I want to get this right the first time.

Been doing some homework on this set up vs the one from Autocraft, as I already have the 2.0 shocks on my 80 but with OME springs. The shock canister and shaft are different between the 2 set ups, so it's not as simple as switching springs around. The Icon springs are meant to ride a little higher than the autocraft ones, with more up travel and less droop. Meaning travel should be similar (maybe the same? still looking into that one) but the icon springs use the stock bumpstops, whereas the autocraft ones use their own.

I don't have a very heavy build, which is more what the icon springs are meant for, and I already have the shocks - so I'll be going down this route for the upcoming road trip/Rubicon run so I should have a decent shake down on them in a couple months.

Definitely let us know how they preform. I'm leaning toward the 2.5 shocks.

Definitely try to read the shock thread, at least the later pages when the Autocraft and Icon suspension talk gets rolling. I am waiting for Justin at Red Line to get back to me about my 80 (he sells the ICON kit and the Autocraft kit). I am afraid the ICON stage 3 does not have heavy enough springs for my rig (lots of add ons), so I may just be going with the ICON stage 3 shocks and keeping my FOR springs for now, or with ICON shocks spec'd out to Autocraft's set up. Then, as a future step, switch to the Autocraft slinky coils. It's a very big investment and I want to get this right the first time.

I couldn't agree more. I try to make upgrades with the end in mind. I hate having to consonantly switch stuff out. I went down that road with the Jeep and don't want to do it again.

37s fit on stock suspension without a bunch of trimming. Just the little piece of the rear flares.

Just for fun.
IMG_3579-1.jpg

I have the Stage 1 shocks and want to get their new springs one day. I'm running TJM 50mm Linear Springs now and love the ride.

What OME springs are you running? I just bought some out of the classifieds and I'm really leaning towards getting the Icon 2.0 shocks to go with them.

850/863s. I think it's a decent combo, I currently have the front torn down for an axle service and locker install and at full droop on the shocks the springs are just unseating. They replaced 10 yr old ome shocks, but they're valves nicely for low speed compression events like body roll but still nice and compliant for the high speed stuff. I have a hard time judging rebound in a heavy rig like these but it's not anything I've noticed as a problem, so I'd say it's dialed.

Supposedly the Icon springs are good for a vehicle with front and rear bumpers plus lights and some gear - which is basically my build. I don't run a roof rack or anything heavy inside so they seemed like a decent fit. Ordered them on Friday so they should be here next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom