Icelandic KZJ95 (LandCruiser/Prado) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
facebook.com
Good day all, you may know me from such build threads as Icelandic Hilux build thread :rofl:

I have become sidetracked a little bit from my pickup, you know, I'm a sucker for a good deal... that's what I tell my wife, my accountant... :)

Anyway, I've purchased two KZJ95s, both with 35s on.. one I bought 2 months back and I was certain I would tear it down, simply because I wanted the engine to build in to my Hilux pickup, and I've already torn this car down to pieces (white one).

But then on marketplace a month back I came across this unsold red car as well and thought, wow this thing has new tires on, and that asking price is not even for the tires... how bad can it be..?
Turns out the owner suspected the head was cracked, surely there were bubble fountains coming out of any orifice on the engine and radiator...

I know what this means, being a mechanic and having dealt with these cars and their overheating problems for the past 15 years or so.. anyway, so I bought the car.. thinking I can't lose at this asking price... I'll have to make a judgement call once I have the head off, because I don't think I'll buy a new head for it in the state it is in, i'd rather part it out, sell the tires and come out even, then sell the rest off for a profit..

The other option is to rebuild the engine, fix the rust plus other minor issues and use the car over the next summer (2023) while I put the pick up on the surgeon table, for the engine swap out of the white prado...

Some photos of the progress so far... This thread will mainly focus on the red one which I intend to use in the future, the white one is just a parts car now.

1.jpg

This car was sitting at the harbor for the past 4 years, as you can see it's seen better days :)
2.jpg

The tires are good though, 35x12.5r15 TSL's

3.jpg

It's god bad bones... but a good heart
4.jpg
5.jpg

I did manage to drive it home though..! but only after removing the front driveshaft, this car is AWD with a center differential, but something was definately wrong with the front diff, it felt like it would lock up at any moment, probably it had no oil in it :)

So I got no time to waste, tore the engine out in 2 evenings

6.jpg

Removing the dash took all of 30 minutes I think
7.jpg

The engine bay shot before teardown began, everything there looks factory except the on board air compressor and the front mount intercooler
8.jpg

The engine control has been chipped, to compensate for the intercooler, this chip is manufactured in Iceland and is claimed to add ~15% horsepower with added fuel and timing
9.jpg

This is another chip to rectify the speedometer after putting the 35s on
10.jpg

Yanking the engine out took no time at all, sawsall was used,,, car is going to scrap anyway...

So with the engine out the car can exit the garage again, I'll tear off the rear axle and some goodies to try to sell, probably won't break a profit but at least come closer to net zero... it would make my book-keeper happy :)
11.jpg

I beelieve the trans is a R151 ? having lower ratio in the 1st and 2nd gear, however I can't use this trans in my swap as the transfer box has the front shaft output on the drivers' side (left) while my Hilux pickup (LN165) has the front diff on the passenger side(right). And it seems no transfer box directly fits on the back housing of this landcruiser gearbox. - no big deal, I'll find a R150 out of a 4runner or hilux v6
12.jpg

Looking good boss
13.jpg

Ready to run on the shop floor
14.jpg

Junk out and fender flares off for selling, rear axle off

I did check underneath, some rust repair are needed, some older repair look ridiculous.. lol

But all in all, the car looks alright

18.jpg

Not sure what they were thinking right there hahaha
19.jpg

Some crossmember corrosion, not too bad
20.jpg

The rear frame rails are completely rotten away, what you see attached is the trailer hitch so this will all need thorough repair
21.jpg

I managed to drive it ~60 miles with regular stops to cool off the engine before it showed signs of overheating.. managed to find this snowdrift and took a nice photo
22.jpg

Factory e-locker is seized, no surprise.. all else seems to work fine

2 land cruisers ang a hilux in the drive way... neighbors may think I am a drug dealer or something ... :D

23.jpg

24.jpg

I wasted no time tearing off the cylinder head, I found that the cylinder head bolts were mostly LOOSE! What the ****!!?? But it all became relevant soon after, I saw the cylinder head is new-ish... has a 2017 manufacture date on it... the Turbo is new (probably at the same time), alternator is brand new(can't be more than a few months old) and the radiator and water pump are new (months old)... what the hell is going on here??

25.jpg

I selected the 3 hole head gasket according to the manufacturer spec. of piston protrusion
26.jpg

Piston protrusion measurement calls for the 3 hole head gasket but this car was with the 5 hole head gasket, not a ruling factor I think... but could in theory affect performance slightly? not sure it matters at all in reality.. anyway. The cylinder head bolts were definately not torqued correctly from the last installer! And I didn't find any issues with the cylinder head ! So I installed it again with a new head gasket, and now all is well with the world (so far) :)
27.jpg

Seeing as the engine now runs fine, I'll have to tackle the rust repairs, so first I'll have to make more space in my garage, take out the slide in pickup camper etc.

Starting work on the rust repairs
28.jpg

Some minor rust behind the fender flares, as expected
29.jpg

I'll replace the rocker panels inner and outer on both sides completely, they are very thin and flimsy, have pinholes... but first I'll tackle the frame repair
30.jpg

The plasma cutter is a life safer when making these pieces and delicate shapes.. I've had this thing a few years, now a CNC control is high on the wishlist :)

Anyway, after starting work on the rust repair of the frame (and finishing the rear portion both sides) I got the flu really bad, and haven't done any work on the car all easter, which is a tragedy..! However, I intend to continue as soon as health improves!

Thanks for watching, like and subscribe haha :D

Hello all again, sorry for the lack of updates.. since Easter ive been down with the flu, four days off work even.. and after getting better just feeling drained after work going to bed early, so no real progress until 4 weeks after easter, now this weekend I got some welding done... progress...

342860474_3547997568814402_8272053660289990874_n.jpg

Took off panels and cut out the old rocker panel, replaced with new piece I had bent for me at a metal shop

343224297_259230676468140_5641625105635515593_n.jpg

Fuel tank is out, was hanging by a thread,, literally.. so I'll repair that too, but I've replaced both rear frame rail portions all except the top and outside, and the rear-most crossmember replaced partially. She's becomming plenty strong again now :)

Greetings from Iceland

Call me a psychopath but I think I'm getting this thing roadworthy again... :)

343358020_185862601069506_9171750399983998081_n.jpg

Drivers' floorpan
343381914_770946084547610_4448245684448161876_n.jpg

Drivers' body mount
343529601_1020656668896408_7251833404695466355_n.jpg

new rocker skin
343603201_629199699088486_925932039515052039_n.jpg

Connectors behind front wheel wells were severely corroded and had been bridged like this in the past... sheesh...
345027227_1452859318796287_5788623648379022288_n.jpg

It can only get better from here right

Loved seeing all of the 90 series around when we were there. I love the classic proportions. Thanks for putting this one back on life support!

Passed the mandatory state inspection today with flying colors

Now it's down to the minor details :)

I did a paint correction too, really shined up the paint, looks a hundred times better, although the paint is not immaculate, but this looks good from afar now.
1685470147078.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom