I would love your input-FJ 60 w/350 SBC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still learning about these rigs, but wanted to get some opinions on purchasing an Fj 60 that appears to have been converted to automatic and had a 350 SBC swapped in. Mechanical skills aren’t great but learning, am I better off waiting and looking for something stock, or is this solid enough I just need to validate the work done? Rig itself is pretty clean, no visible rust, original paint.

is it local? can it be registered in CA?
probably not the best rig if limited on mechanicals, you don't know how it was done or put together and paying someone to figure it out can be costly if there is an issue.

is it local? can it be registered in CA?
probably not the best rig if limited on mechanicals, you don't know how it was done or put together and paying someone to figure it out can be costly if there is an issue.
Thanks for the response. It is local, and currently registered in CA. That was sort of my inclination since I’m sure there’s a somewhat increased risk of failure, but I liked the idea of slightly more power.

If you bought a cruiser with its original 2F engine, soon you’d wish it were a V8. (because it’s always been under powered).

If you bought a cruiser with a SBC V8 swap, soon you’d wish it had the original 2F because of its charm and genuine feel for what a Land Cruiser was.

Bottom Line: You’ll be second guessing your decision with either vehicle you buy and it will haunt you the rest of your life.

How does it run? One of the plusses for an FJ60 is a manual gearbox. A shame that was taken away.

you state SBC, is that carbed or fuel injected?

If you bought a cruiser with its original 2F engine, soon you’d wish it were a V8. (because it’s always been under powered).

If you bought a cruiser with a SBC V8 swap, soon you’d wish it had the original 2F because of its charm and genuine feel for what a Land Cruiser was.

Bottom Line: You’ll be second guessing your decision with either vehicle you buy and it will haunt you the rest of your life.
100% nailed it lol. Our FJ62 was TBI 350 swapped before we got it, and it still had the Toyota auto. I genuinely hated that configuration and second guessed buying the truck. But that auto died, and we swapped in an H55. Now I absolutely love driving it, and appreciate the extra power and ease of repairs. Congrats on the Cruiser! Let's see some pics!

Perspective. I was charmed by the 2F instantly. Having a '66 Beetle in the stable also means I'm perfectly happy with "under powered"... because it isn't. I can happily do 70mph in both, not that I'm driving places with limits above 55 with any frequency.

OP, with limited mechanical skills you'll be relying on others most of the time, right? If whomever you rely on is good with the SBC, then get that. If they know the 2F, hold out for that. If you're going to learn for yourself... don't think it matters. Might be nice to have a SBC swap because then you don't fall into the pit of "restoration" since you're unlikely to swap a 2F back in. The freedom to bastardize the 60 anyway you desire (because someone else has already started) must be a nice feeling. Meanwhile, I'm stuck hunting for long discontinued parts to keep it authentic.

I did the 350 swap in out 1984 FJ60 2 years ago and Love it. Yeah it took me a while to get everything dialed in. I went with the Sniper fuel injection and running a Turbo 350 automatic which I might upgrade in the coming months.

275533726_10223448432452987_4447128451299478384_n.jpg

I like my FJ60 with 5.7 vortec engine and 5speed manual toyota. If I were to do it again, it would be a 6.0 SBC with matching GM auto transmission. I'm not in CA though and don't have to deal with all the related inspections...etc.

I saw it this week-overall I was digging it but a few things have me still on the fence- interior was a lot rougher than described but not a huge issue alone. There was little known about the engine-mileage, who installed it, and there was a leak coming from somewhere near the back of the bay. Current Owner never registered it in their name, but also not willing to negotiate much. Again thanks for all of the input.

pics or it dsnt exist :flipoff2:

Current Owner never registered it in their name,

HUGE red flag
how do you know he is the legal owner?
can it be registered in CA?
how long has he had it?
does he have the title?

To each his own. For me, an FJ60 with a V8 and automatic isn't a Land Cruiser. Do you want a Chevy or a Cruiser?

That being said, I've seen some great conversion and some scary ones. I'd be very cautious when it comes to a rig that someone else converted. Not saying they did a poor job. Just be careful.

do the tags match the registration for the rig?
2 months of ownership and he's selling, another flag for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom