I would appreciate input on selling my 96 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I vote for sell as-is and simply don't discount for any issues. $8k

1) Original air cleaner is missing
2) radiator is very close to exploding. Literally.
3) Typical oil leaks on lower front of engine
4) Front axle due for typical rebuild
5) Original wheels missing

These are the first things I see. These indicate a LOT of maintenance is due.

If you have ANY service records, that will help sell, particularly if the head gasket has ever been replaced and by whom.

If you have ANY service records, that will help sell, particularly if the head gasket has ever been replaced and by whom.
Your asking price has plummeted to $26k

That radiator tho....:oops::oops::popcorn:

Thank you. I do have the original wheels. I’m not sure if the head gaskets have ever been replaced. I’ll have to see about getting a radiator. I appreciate the input.

I might be wrong, but those look like the original coolant hoses next to the heater control valve. At 200k miles I’d check all the water lines when you get the radiator replaced.

In that condition it is probably a $4 to $6k rig. Frame looks pretty crusty to be considered a total restoration candidate. Without hearing it run it is hard to know a true value. The front end/axle work could cost $2,500 in a hurry. The seats could cost $300 to $2000 depending upon the overall quality. I think the goal on an 80 is to spend the same repairing it as you spent to buy it. That total amount should equal completed value. That is just my standard and I don't usually flip them for a profit. Someone looking to buy it and sell it for a profit would need to own it for less than $3000k.

In that condition it is probably a $4 to $6k rig. Frame looks pretty crusty to be considered a total restoration candidate. Without hearing it run it is hard to know a true value. The front end/axle work could cost $2,500 in a hurry. The seats could cost $300 to $2000 depending upon the overall quality. I think the goal on an 80 is to spend the same repairing it as you spent to buy it. That total amount should equal completed value. That is just my standard and I don't usually flip them for a profit. Someone looking to buy it and sell it for a profit would need to own it for less than $3000k.
Thank you so much for the input. I appreciate everyone that has. Very nice people on here.

It has less rust than usual for the Cincy area. I would price it at $6k and take the first $5k offer

In the interest of your friend, I'm still at $8k firm.
1) you won't be selling to a turn-key purist as-is.
2) you won't be selling to an active 80 owner @that price as-is.

But good news! These days (numbered, no doubt) the majority of 80 buyers are in neither camp imo.
How far are you from Harned, KY?

In the interest of your friend, I'm still at $8k firm.
1) you won't be selling to a turn-key purist as-is.
2) you won't be selling to an active 80 owner @that price as-is.

But good news! These days (numbered, no doubt) the majority of 80 buyers are in neither camp imo.
How far are you from Harned, KY?
Hi, it looks like I’m about 2.5 hours from Harned

Sounds like a decent deal has been made. Congratulations guys. My opinion, when I am shopping I always look for the diamond in the rough. If it’s running and the mechanicals work then I dig deeper into the visual items. Yes, this rig looks like it needs a lot of deferred maintenance and I am sure all the rubber and consumables could be nearing the end of life. The body looks decent. GLWS.

I look forward to seeing this truck brought back from the brink. I think that paint will look really cool once it is scrubbed and polished. I love a good preservation job on OEM paint. Hope to see it soon here on MUD.

Absolutely. Based on pics alone. I know these things inside and out quite well and have a fully equipped shop. If I were relying on someone else to work on it....$500🤣
Yes, it appears they’re costly to get worked on by others, but it sounds like more expertise is vitally important to properly maintain them.

I don’t see anything that would make me think less than $8k is justified. Do you have the original air cleaner housing, is the interior decent or moldy from water leaks, trashed? I would just clean inside and out and make sure it runs/drives, wouldn’t do anything more than that. Bandaids, not surgery. If you start fixing things, you will get $.70 on every dollar you put into it until everything is great, then it will be $.90 per dollar spent and that assumes you do the repairs, add labor and subtract $.30 per dollar spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom