I went Muddin' yesterday, now I have wierd dash warning lights on... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yea I thought of that also so i checked it and sure enough it was bone dry. What is the best blinker fluid to go with, I'm assuming Toyota red?;)

Yellow keeps the color of the blinkers true.

OK, my friend gave me a set of schematics that clearly show the charge light, brake light, and A/T Oil Temp light are all connected through the same same curcuit. According to this they all run to the "CHARGE LIGHT RELAY 160A ALTI. CHARGE FUSE (90A ALT)"

According to the schematics, this "charge light relay" is supposed to remain open.

Does anybody know where this is located?

Weeeeeee......

I get to play this game, except with the painful results.

After my first mud playing adventure about a week ago the red electrical warning light came on above the voltage guage.

It went away, and would come on randomly.

It was off all day today. Its been raining a lot, so I head down to where all the trucks are playing in the mud.....run it through one water/mud hole and as I come out of it.......the truck is acting like I have no gas. Give it a little skinny pedal and it bogs down......

I don't know why I thought I should try to turn it off and then back on......but I did.....and it wouldn't start.

YAY!

So I call one of my hot chick friends with a new Pathfinder. She agrees to drive out, and while she doesn't have jumper cables, I have a tow strap and she is willing to slowly tow me back to my house (a few blocks away).

She see me, pulls off the road and for some reason was going to drive around my truck and manages to get stuck.

I'm watching 1 wheel spin.......... DON'T YOU HAVE 4WD?

NO!

Silly girls......but shes hot, so its ok. A passing F-150 pulls her out and back onto the pavement.

The F-150 guy has cables and gives me a jump. The truck bogs after a few minutes, I touch the gas, and its dead. Yay, no alternator.

He tows me back to my house for $20.

I take a garden hose.....spray spray spray........clean out all the mud in the engine bay.

A fellow MUD'er told me to try to hit the alternator as the brushes might not be spinning.

It works for like 5 minutes....so Im letting it charge back up after jumping it.

The light comes back on.......5 minutes go by and no combination of hitting the alternator makes the light go off......and it sputters and stops.

Shall I attempt to pressure wash the alternator while the truck is running tomorrow?

Would blasting it with electrical cleaner work better?

I never had an alternator or power issue until the run through the mud, and I did end up removing those little flaps by the spring/shock combo in the wheel well......so I'm sure that led to the mud into the alternator problem....

well if you have tried to wash it, without removing it already, you might try the pressure washer but if you have never taken one apart then use this as a time to get to know your alternator. pull it out and clean every part of it's innards.

I actually forgot about this thread as mine has not given me a warning in a long time.

I figure I'll try the power washer first and see if that helps as I guarantee there's some mud in there.......the whole engine bay was brown.

Do I want to spray it as the engine is running (alternator spinning) or while it is stopped?

Stopped. Once you spray it let it sit and dry out completely.

I would also advise you to use one of those radiator cleaning wands (google it, they are a dime a dozen) so you can get a bunch of low pressure volume on the alt without blowing it apart with a pressure washer.

I sprayed the whole engine bay out with my powerwasher today. My sprayer has 2 settings......either dime size hardcore spray....or like half power wide spray.

I used the wide spray but got RIGHT UP on the alternator from above and sprayed it as much as I could.

I let it dry for 30 mins and jumped the LX with our Celica to start it.

It started good, with no red warning light on.

After a minute I removed the cables to see if the light would come on - it never did.

I let it run in the driveway for 30 mins to charge up and the light never came on and it never stalled out.

I felt bad that I could fix it for free, so I went out and bought an Optima Red Top battery for the LX.

there ya go :)

A number of years ago, on the 80'scool yahoo site this problem showed up. If you get some muddy water into the plug on the back of the alternator the problems you that u had will show up. The solution was to remove the plug, clean contacts and use some anti-corrosion grease to seal the plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom