I went Muddin' yesterday, now I have wierd dash warning lights on... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, the light came back on. I took it to a self carwash place, washed the engine really good and the light went off for another 24 hours. Now its back on. Still in series with the Battery, A/T Temp, and Brake light. Any more ideas?

EDIT- I did some searching and see that it is MOST likely the alternator. Since it came on after mudding, should I try to clean it out, or just replace it.

Last edited:
OK, the light came back on. I took it to a self carwash place, washed the engine really good and the light went off for another 24 hours. Now its back on. Still in series with the Battery, A/T Temp, and Brake light. Any more ideas?

EDIT- I did some searching and see that it is MOST likely the alternator. Since it came on after mudding, should I try to clean it out, or just replace it.
well you can take offf the alternater and clean it really good or just replace it. but it sounds like you did a number to it. better off calling cdan before he goes to moab;)

See post #7. Why are you even asking?

-B-

Hopefully it will fix itself.

Onur,
I've found it best to be blunt when you're trying to help someone that thinks their vehicle is like Christine and will heal itself.

:D

-B-

I have the same problem with the same lights except mine have a tendency to flicker randomly but all the same lights you mentioned and all in sync. It went away for about a month then I had the engine detailed and now it is back. If it is a voltage fluctuation that is causing it can't be much of one as the volt meter dose not budge except when the turn signals are on and then it dose but only a tiny bit and in sync with the turn signal. think I'm just going to by a new one from dan along with belts and some other stuff I have been putting off...To bad a new one is around $300 though...hummm... could old stretched belts have anything to do with the funk voltage of the alt?

And besides being very annoying- what is the danger of not fixing this problem? Dead battery?

I've had it for a week and I havent noticed a difference in how the car starts or runs. My battery level guage stays steady, just a hair above the half mark.

I am going to fix it soon, I have a family friend that used to own a starter/ alternator shop. But is it causing any harm right now?

Same scenario. Took it off, took it apart, cleaned it...woops! I should have been more careful to not spray the grease out of the bearings in there. If you are just a mechanical newbie this will take some time, but it's a good thing to learn on and builds a little confidence in your wrenching skills.

Yes, it can drain your battery. Long term running your battery at low charge can kill it. Extra wear on the alt brushes maybe if theres crud in there? I don't know, but sooner is better than later.

As for trusting the gauge, I wouldn't. I don't think it is that close to accurate. It is more of a ballpark. If it's moving when the blinkers are on, you have a problem.

My battery level guage stays steady, just a hair above the half mark.

Not that the stock gauge is accurate, but that's likely not where it should be. Go for a drive at night and you probably won't make it back. :lol:

Go to an auto parts store and have them check your charging system asap. Takes less than a minute or so...

Curtis

As for trusting the gauge, I wouldn't. I don't think it is that close to accurate. It is more of a ballpark. If it's moving when the blinkers are on, you have a problem.

mine is usually rock steady about 85%-90% of the way to the 18+ mark. except when noted below.

If it is moving at most 1/32 of an inch when the turn signal engages would this not be a good sign that at least MY gauge is very accurate I don't think the power draw of one turn signal could be all that much and for the gauge to notice the difference it would have to be pretty sensitive. Just thinking out loud. I will try my high beams and driving lights tomorrow and see if they make it drop further though.

And besides being very annoying- what is the danger of not fixing this problem? Dead battery?

See post # 10. Once you get below 9.6 volts, the computer shuts down. Not the end of the world, but it would suck to have to push an 80 out of an intersection at rush hour.

As for the accuracy of the gauge, I haven't checked it against a separate voltmeter, so without data I'm just another guy with an opinion. I know not to trust the temp gauge too far based on other posts. My gauge doesn't fluctuate with usage of lights / turn signals. If it were mine I would guess my battery is a little low or my alternator is charging a little under par. I'll let the guys with data chime in to say whether it's trustable or not.

If it is moving at most 1/32 of an inch when the turn signal engages

I just went and tried mine out. It does the same thing- the blinkers cause the voltage to move slightly with each 'blink'. Funny though, it doesn't even move when I turn the brights on and off.

Hopefully today or tomorrow I will get by an autoparts store and have them check my charging system, but Im 90% convinced I need a new alt. Im 100% convinced my car wont fix itself.

I tested mine with a volt meter. Alternator is putting out 14.5 volts I don't know what the normal rate should be though.

My brights and driveing lights do not make the gauge move but the turn signals do.

Just clean the damn thing already! :mad: :lol: :flipoff2:

My parking brake light went on and off for a little while.

Mudrak told me that I needed brake fluid.

I added brake fluid, and it turned off.

But then it turned out I needed new brakes. Dumbass move by me.

Maybe blinker fluid will keep the voltmeter from moving when your blinkers are on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom