i was just quoted a $1,000 to replace my exhuast system what da s*** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
holly s*** batman they a grand to replace my exhuast. on my 89 62 :doh: :doh: :eek: :mad: :censor:

who is "they"?
i picked up the tail pipe for my 60 from toyota...100 bucks from the back of the cat to the back of the truck, including the muffler.

"custom" exhaust for the 40 was 300 bucks, from the header to the back of the truck, including the muffler.

Yeah! Last week I went to a muffler franchise shop and they were well on their way over the thousand mark when i told him I could buy the parts at Summit Racing for one third of his quote. He was no longer interested in me or my Cruiser. Funny how ten miles down the road, the inboard oxy sensor just popped out with a roar. These guys really think we're more stupid than they are. Maybe but we'll never beat them on dishonesty.

I took my FJ60 to a hotrod shop. I have well under $140 in it from the header all the way back with 2 1/2" pipe and a turbo muffler. You should head somewhere else and get a second opinion.

haha i took my cruiser in for a stupid little thing cuz i was lazy

got crazy quotes. rediculous
new exhaust= $3500
valve grind= $1800
oil pang gasket$520
front brake pads and rotors= $600
front steering knuckle repack= $950
all of which are not needed nor asked to look at. hell the main oil leak is from the front crank seal adn they didnt even mention that. i got so pissed that they couldnt even do the simple thing that i asked i just told them to fxxxing give it back and i would take care of it since they were to imcompetent. they did not like that. but hey whatever. these people are smoking crack. all htese estimates i listed i rounded down before i posted. the grand total they wanted for these services.(which i remind you i didnt even ask them to look at.)

$7372.00

brett76 said:

new exhaust= $3500
valve grind= $1800
oil pang gasket$520
all of which are not needed nor asked to look at. hell the main oil leak is from the front crank seal adn they didnt even mention that. i got so pissed that they couldnt even do the simple thing that i asked i just told them to fxxxing give it back and i would take care of it since they were to imcompetent. they did not like that. but hey whatever. these people are smoking crack. all htese estimates i listed i rounded down before i posted. the grand total they wanted for these services.(which i remind you i didnt even ask them to look at.)

$7372.00

Time to get some FSMs and the wrenches! :D

oh none of that needs to be done
except the oil pan gasket and i am just waiting on that until i buy the rebuild kits for my tranny and t-case. its becuase i wanted them to change my gasket for my egr recovery tube cuz its a pain and i figured it would be cheap. but they were to stupid and didnt even look there and tried to tell me i had to pull my manifold and get it resurfaced. and then tried to tell me i didnt change the back half of the gasket!!! i said its one gasket and i just had it resurfaced. well its a two peice manifold and we get them in two pieces and it doesnt look like its been changed. i said its one piece i got it from you and you dont know what your talking about. well it sounds like thats where the leak is they said. and i said thats because thats where the egr pipe is back by the fire wall. did you even look at it?.
then they said sir well change anything you want. and i said no just park it outside im coming to get it i dont want you touching my truck.
so i took off the egr pipe. its cracked by the gasket so ordering another one. and done.

you know i just dont get it. why do they think everyone is stupid. i told them EXACTLY WHERE TO LOOK AND WHAT TO DO.
FxxxING MORONS. now im pissed. sorry to hijack the thread

i just get so fired up when i think about it.

You'd be paying mostly for labor. Second the notion to get a FSM and do most of it yourself. It's not that difficult. Also your 'shops' are way out of line. Here's what I paid for the same thing.

Head/valve cleaning/regring - $380 from machine shop including cleaning/planing of intake/exhaust manifolds

Exhaust (cat back) $150 installed at Toyota dealer (life time warranty too)

Brakes - Pads and Shoes are cheap - Labor is easy. Most places will cut rotors and drums for like $10 each. Brake caliper grease - $2.

Not a bad price though for the front hub/knuckle repack. Although if they quoted those ridiculous prices I wouldn't put it past them to find 'extras' to charge you for after the fact.

Get the FSM and have some fun.

Rob

wellfriend ofmine is gonna adjust my valves for 20 bucks. another f4riend gonna weld some straight pipe in place the converter. If and when emissions come and i fail i will worry about new cats.

the more i think about it the more im comtimplateing doin a tbi smallblock 700r4 trans np 205 transfercase swap and be done with it.

anyone got some links on headers for the cruiser?

Anyone live in maryland baltimore area or within a 100 miles of me tyhat happens to work at a exhuast shop?

Now i remember why i only by american iron not other makes. but the truck built like a tank and already took more abuse in three days then my cj7 handled .

you're getting hosed. haven't done the 60, but a had a custom aluminized exhaust from headers back with magnaflow muffler done for $350 on my 40...60's don't take that much more pipe.

Go deep into the city in some really crappy part and look for a local exhaust shop. (Don't bring a lot of cash if it's a really bad part of town :D ) Find some local exhaust shop and haggle with them for a good price. You'll knock about $2100 off your current quote.

brett76 said:

new exhaust= $3500
valve grind= $1800
oil pang gasket$520

$7372.00

Was that a dealer?

The exhaust is particularly outrageous. Even at list price for oem parts for every part of the exhaust (let's even use a 62 as an example cause it's more complicated), you wouldn't get anywhere near $3500, e.g.,

2 down pipes $ 300.00
1 Y pipe $ 180.00
2 cats $ 1000.00
Muffler and exhaust pipe $ 150.00
5 exhaust mounts $ 100.00
10 gaskets $ 100.00
2 02 sensors $ 300.00
Fasteners $ 20.00

Total Parts $2,150.00

Labor (2 hours) $ 160.00

Total $2,310.00

Come to think of it, does the front break pads and rotors include new rotors for $600 or just turning the rotors? The knuckle job aint bad for $900, if that includes all oem parts, but then they want $600 for the pads and rotors, which have to come off anyway to do the knuckles.

what lemon said.....
new exhaust on my 60 from the header back with flowmaster and a cat was under $400.

See Univercity Place muffler in T-town, old time shop with very fair prices. Or if its just the muffler back, Toyota lifetime for under $150

bet Bob would do the front axle and brakes for $600, prolly under $200 for the pan. I can hook ya up with the local parts sources I use.

John

brett76 said:

new exhaust= $3500
valve grind= $1800
oil pang gasket$520

$7372.00

oh hey pimp
thanks a bundle. but al is phenomenal for parts and a great guy to boot. as far as the exhaust i dont even need one. just had to order the egr pipe. and im doing the oil pan when i rebuild my t-case. i jsut thought i would throw up the rediculous prices the dealers want to work on your car.
im actually kind of scared to let anybody work on it after that fiasco. i mean when i tell you exactly what is wrong and you still cant figure it out or even look. im never going back.
thats what i get though for being lazy. at least it only cost me $50 dollars to know to never let them work on my truck.
much thanks. and when we gonn hook up?

CSA said:
Was that a dealer?

Come to think of it, does the front break pads and rotors include new rotors for $600 or just turning the rotors? The knuckle job aint bad for $900, if that includes all oem parts, but then they want $600 for the pads and rotors, which have to come off anyway to do the knuckles.
yes it was a dealer
no it does not include rotors but it does include 6 dollars for brake cleaner, :doh: :flipoff2:

Find a good cruiser mechanic. Keep him happy. Buy the FSM so at least you'll know when to hand off a project to your mechanic.

There's not much maintenance on a 60, but what there is to do must be done properly - with OEM parts if possible.

M

Mike S said:
Find a good cruiser mechanic. Keep him happy. Buy the FSM so at least you'll know when to hand off a project to your mechanic.

There's not much maintenance on a 60, but what there is to do must be done properly - with OEM parts if possible.

M
thank you mike. that is the plan

I wouldn't waste my money on an OEM exhaust, not with the difference in price. There's a great place in north Austin, one of those old-school hot rod shops that gets cool rigs stopping by every day, that did my whole exhaust, custom-routed to my specifications and including a MagnaFlow muffler for $290. That was three years ago and I never had any problems with it.

I am a stickler for OEM components for certain things, but the exhaust is NOT one of them, I'd rather pay for pipe bent custom in front of me than for pre-bent pipe that traveled halfway across the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom