I want YOUR opinion on aftermarket diffs! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to find a 94-97 FZJ80 with factory locking diffs but understand this may be difficult. I have two questions and would appreciate anybody's feedback on either one or both of them.

1. How do the aftermarket lockers that are available compare to the factory-installed locking diffs?

2. If I end up going with aftermarket lockers, what companies make good stuff and what companies should I avoid?

Thanks for your expertise!

My opinion.....keep looking until you find one with them already. Holding out a bit longer is a small price to pay for not having to spend the coin on aftermarket.

ARB is your only option for a aftermarket selectable locker.

and they're expensive!

If they will be used regularly, and you know you would purchase them anyway, I prefer the ARB's. They lock/unlock MUCH faster and more reliably than the OEM locks. No $500 actuator motors.

For expedition/occasional use the factory locks are GREAT.

wait for the right deal, many sellers don't even know what lockers are. should not cost much more than a cruiser w/o them. wd

oh yeah, I don't know the percentages (dan?) but a large % of cruisers came locked.

whodat said:
oh yeah, I don't know the percentages (dan?) but a large % of cruisers came locked.

I don't remember the US spec % being high...am I wrong?

again? :D

cerebellicose said:
I'm trying to find a 94-97 FZJ80 with factory locking diffs but understand this may be difficult. I have two questions and would appreciate anybody's feedback on either one or both of them.

1. How do the aftermarket lockers that are available compare to the factory-installed locking diffs?

2. If I end up going with aftermarket lockers, what companies make good stuff and what companies should I avoid?

Thanks for your expertise!

If I had to do it over again I would have bought a locked rig mostly for the convenice. Since my purchase of an unlocked rig, I installed ff/rr ARB lockers. After driving my friends locked 94 and my arb locked 94 I have to say the arbs are more effecient. But I have to say I would have paid about $11, 000 for a locked rig, paid $8000 for my unlocked rig, and spend $2900 to get the arbs on. In the end it came out about the same.

whodat said:

Maybe I was thinking Lexus :eek: what % of lx450's are locked?

whodat said:
Maybe I was thinking Lexus :eek: what % of lx450's are locked?
I've heard something like 5-7%, although that sounds way low, just from the Lexus's I've seen I'd say ~30-50% would be locked...even the Land Cruiser number sounds low...if you figure that used vehicles would be a appropriate market segment to look at, then how many do you see locked? If you look at 100 Cruisers, are only 10 of them locked, I would say no, I would say more like 30-50 of them would be locked...just from ones I've seen.

I'm thinking 10% are locked, remember cdan mentioning that # once.

Biff said:
I'm thinking 10% are locked, remember cdan mentioning that # once.
That number sounds familiar also...but in your experience, of all the Cruisers you've looked at have only 10% been locked? Not the case for me, and I usually make a point of looking inside every 80 in a parking lot...course this is Colorado and maybe a higher percentage of locked ones were sold here.

mabrodis said:
That number sounds familiar also...but in your experience, of all the Cruisers you've looked at have only 10% been locked? Not the case for me, and I usually make a point of looking inside every 80 in a parking lot...course this is Colorado and maybe a higher percentage of locked ones were sold here.

Most of the cruiser I see here are unlocked. I think out of fifty cruisers that I saw when I shopped for mine only one was locked. Now that I look back I should have taken that one. :mad: I guess it depends what part of the country your at.

So mine is one of the best 10% then right Victor? hehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom