I want to do the tranny fluid exchange but I don't know what is in there..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IIRC, both times mine was done with a BG exchange machine, I had 20 quarts on hand and they used about 18 or so. The first time at around 150k miles, the line of delineation was very sharp between the old and new fluid. The second time, ~100k later, it was difficult to tell the difference as the old fluid looked as good as the new. Both times I used Amsoil Universal ATF. Not trying to sell Amsoil and it's the only Amsoil product I use (I always use Redline Synthetic for manual transmissions and differentials) but I have no doubt it's good stuff for this application.

Edit: I'm all for DIY but for around $100 and not having to deal with the mess, this service is well worth paying someone to do. You just have to make sure they have a fluid exchange machine and also make sure to decline all additives, ect. that they will offer you. "Machine" might be the wrong word for these devices as they are basically just two reservoirs with a set of hoses. The transmission does all the work.

I'm a diy guy, even at my own expense, at times. Think I'll tackle this myself.

And to clarify all my earlier posts, the torque converter will not be drained, nor have its fluid replaced using this method. Some might get out, but no way will all of it be swapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom