I want to buy an 80 or LX450looking to get my hands on a 97 LX450 or a 80 series cruiser. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've lurked on here for a few years. Originally it was so I could get some information on repairing an FJ40 that I used to own but that's long gone now. Now I'm looking to get into an LX450 or the 80 series cruiser specifically a 1997 vintage. I'm not sure what my options are but I think I know my requirements.

Locked or unlocked either is fine. I'd like to get something with less than 150K miles. Rust free is a must for me. Some baseline maintenance would be nice but I have a garage so if it's not been done I can get it done. Prefer stock'ish. Torn seats are OK as I'll recover them soon after purchase. Prefer champagne, dune, white. Basically a pipe dream I guess so go ahead and kick me now.

After reading the Slee FAQ for buying and camping out in the forum for a while I wanted to get some peoples thoughts.

If you baseline things with OEM partys and you do the work yourself how much do you usually spend? No headgasket work. I am thinking about $8K but maybe I'm off on that number. Baselinging though, no lift, no tires, no accessories, just getting it back to great condition ready to drive to Maine, then over to Iceland, then down to Africa. I am planning the trip for 2020 when my son graduates high school so I want it to be ready by then. I would rather spend money baselining than I would repairing in Syria. Or anywhere elses for that matter.

Is 8K realistic for baselining? I'm guessing for the cruiser or LX I pick I'm going to spend $15K and hopefully less. Want to get feedback and hope you don't blast me for my wishes of a perfect cruiser.

$8k is more for baselining than a lot of us spent on the truck + baselining.

Axle rebuild, cooling system refresh, new brakes all around, all the usual oil leaks, and you might spend $2k doing the work yourself. Add in another $600-1400 if you want to do a head gasket.

Any reason why you're looking at a '97 specifically? 96-97 are identical and 95 are nearly identical. Having an Lexus, I would give preference to the toyota, all else being equal. I have found some rust hiding behind the plastic tupperware which would not have gone un-treated if it were a LC and not an LX.

For baselining I am thinking Knuckles, new brake lines, calipers, pads, service rear axle, parking brake. Then new radiator, water pump, distributor, thermostat, blue fan clutch, all new hoses, replace O2 sensors, replace all air lines, replace EGR, plugs, wires, valve cover gasket. Replace weather stripping, window seals, and other rubber that is old. I am probably over estimating at $8K aren't I?

I like the 97 vintage as it's the latest there is. My preference would be a build date around 09/97 but that's pushing it. I thought the LX450 and the 80 were about the same except for cosmetic items.

Yes, I believe you are overestimating the cost of those items :)

Late '97 seems like a pointless criteria to put on your search. If you prefer the later models, just get the best condition '95+ you can get your hands on. Some will likely be available with some maintenance records, also potentially bringing down your baselining costs.

LX and LC are the same vehicle more or less, I was just pointing out that rust can potentially hide behind all the plastic cladding on the LX. That is the case with my truck, but it took years for it to get bad enough that I could see evidence of it, at which point the rust problem was much bigger than it would have been if it had been in the open and not hiding behind the plastic cladding. If you buy from a region without rust issues, you're probably fine. Colorado is somewhere in the middle when it comes to rusty vs. clean. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
It is possible I'd consider other years but just feel like the 97 would be better, not based on anything factual other than my opinion. Started my searching today but it seems like craigslist is the way to go. Or not.

I’d throw out your criteria and find a diesel HDJ81... Or at least consider a 1HDT swap. I’m not sure how easy petrol is to find in the remote areas of Africa, and I’d rather have the range of a diesel.

As far as your original list is concerned, if you have 8000 bucks to budget for baselining only, I wouldn’t worry at all about the mileage of the truck. Everything else on your list should be pretty easy to come by.

I think your total budget of $23k can definitely land you a really solid LC. Getting a late '97 build date will probably be your most difficult criteria to meet, but could be possible (and is exactly the sort of crazy criteria many of us tend to apply to our LCs in one way or another. As I read recently, many LC owners on Mud are "belt AND suspenders" people, so you're right at home in this circle. All I can say is it pays to buy one from an anal-retentive, OCD owner. I paid a little over $11k for mine last year and have hardly had to baseline anything due to the fact that most of it had already been done (practically everything on your baselining list had been done in the 40k miles previous to my purchasing it), plus some serious upgrades like new leather seat covers, 3" lift, 315 DuraTracs, MetalTech sliders, etc..

That being said, I beg you for a write-up of both the baselining you end up doing and that EPIC trip you have planned.

Again, welcome!

David

I’d throw out your criteria and find a diesel HDJ81... Or at least consider a 1HDT swap. I’m not sure how easy petrol is to find in the remote areas of Africa, and I’d rather have the range of a diesel.

As far as your original list is concerned, if you have 8000 bucks to budget for baselining only, I wouldn’t worry at all about the mileage of the truck. Everything else on your list should be pretty easy to come by.
Not sure if I want to tackle learning diesel engines yet. Hopefully I'll have the $ left over to get a large subtank and a roof rack to hold additional jerry cans.

My thought on a low mileage is this though I have no facts to back it up.

If you buy a low mileage cruiser then baseline it and maybe add some accessories like a roof rack and lift and sliders then when if/when you sell it you are selling a well baselined and modestly built low mileage cruiser. A low mileage 57 chevy or 67 camaro that is restored is always worth more than a high mileage one with miles being the same. I think. Low mileage usually (I think) means less wear on everything. Just my .02 cents worth though.

In the land cruiser world, most of the stuff that needs to be fixed (including EVERYTHING on your PM list) is caused by age, not mileage. Mostly we're just chasing old rubber with these trucks. And a 150k mile truck needs the same belts, hoses and seals replaced as a 350k truck. :hillbilly:

Maybe convince him to sell:

In the land cruiser world, most of the stuff that needs to be fixed (including EVERYTHING on your PM list) is caused by age, not mileage. Mostly we're just chasing old rubber with these trucks. And a 150k mile truck needs the same belts, hoses and seals replaced as a 350k truck. :hillbilly:

I somewhat agree. Though if I am going to replace the parts on either a 150K mile cruiser or a 350K mile cruiser I'm going to do it on the 150K. Just me. The cruiser posted above has promise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom