1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to buy a good multi-purpose bicycle for less than $500...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Arya Ebrahimi, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

What do you guys recommend?

I will primarily use this for commuting 2-3 miles to class, leisure riding around town, and the like. No hardcore offroading and no hardcore road racing. I'd like it to be light as we have a lot of hills at school, but I'm willing to sacrifice weight for durability/dependability. In other words, I want to be able to hop a curb(properly, not just running into the curb w/ the wheels) and not have to worry about bending a wheel or damaging the frame.

I'm 6'3" and 185lbs.

My budget for this acquisition is $500 max. As always less is better, but I've learned that you often get what you pay for in purchases like this if you're a smart shopper.

Thanks

Ary

2. Jan-78FJ40

Jan-78FJ40

ebay, or

ride your cousin.

3. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
  4. mabrodis

mabrodis

Find one at Walmart or Costco, those would be under $200 even for a full suspension...and then take it off some sweet jumps... :D Then vote for Pedro! :D

5. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    LBD, Get a mtn bike and have some semi slicks or inverted tread installed instead of linked knobbys.

Then put a basket on the front ;)

6. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

My wife and I have hybrids-- a mountain bike frame with narrower street/light offroad tires. We like them a lot

we have the Raliegh C-30 and paid about $279 or so for them from a mom and pop bike store in town.

www.raleighusa.com

Click on "cross" then look for the c30. the c40 is probably better by a bit, and might be closer to your price range of $500. The way I see it, if you can afford $500, then get the best you can for that money rather than settling on cheaper bike... But we enjoy or c30s, ride them on quite a few 10 mile runs and no complaints.

Steve

7. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    I got a Huffy with a banana seat.........its pink but that should work fine for you :D

8. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

Thanks poltergeist for taking my post seriously. It was a legitimate and serious question :rolleyes:

All you other guys :flipoff2:

Ary

9. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    i am a big believer in salvaging old good quality mountain bikes. they worked great then and people paid a ton of money for them and they don't really wear out so what's wrong with them now?

go to a used bike shop or a pawn shop or classified and buy an old school mountain bike with quality components. you don't need suspension for what you are doing and you are tall so an old style big bike frame will work for you. Get Shimano DX or XT components if you can get'em or LT if you have to (check ever individual piece to confirm what it is and don't trust the labels on the shifter). also, don't worry about what style of shifter it has. Pick up the bike to figure out how good quality it is. lighter is better unless it's aluminium in which case be careful. Check that the forks aren't bent and the frame isn't cracked and that the headset and crank turn easily and don't click. walk away if it has any of those issues. turn the bike over and spin the wheels to check the hubs and see if the wheel is warped or kinked. bad wheels can be replaced pretty cheap if the rest of the bike is cheap and you can make it even cheaper by pointing out a bad wheel.

then clean the crap out of everything (steel wool will clean up surface rust on bike chrome nicely), get some bike lube and relube everything (not 3 in 1), dress the cables with graphite, replace the inner tubes and also the tires if they need it. Get a long seat post if it doesn't have one and a comfy new seat. get new brake pads or if the old brakes are really lousy get some modern generic brand sidepulls, which are dirt cheap.

10. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

I've got my brother's old Trek sitting in the garage that he said I could have if I wanted. I may look into fixing that up instead of getting a new bike. I'll have to investigate that possibility further as I have no idea of the condition of the individual components, just that the bike is overall in poor shape and was poorly maintained.

Ary

11. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    It would probably run $100 - 150 to fix up. New tires, tubes maybe some cables and b pads, grips. As long as he's 6'3" it'd work. Some of the old Treks are pretty decent and usa made.

Forgot to add the handle bar tassles to above est :whoops:

12. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    there are a big range of treks but it's probably worth saving. As noted, main issues are frame, crank and headset. If the frame is solid you can restore everything else for well under $500 if you have a good bike store near you that sells used parts. As an added bonus it is less likely to get stolen.

13. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Go with a one year old "Ranier" by Giant bicycles. Sweet component spec. Brand new they hover just over $500.

14. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

I wouldn't get caught riding around campus on a :princess: hybrid. Get a MTB and put some slicks on it. I ride 100 psi Specialized Fat Boy slicks on my GT and it moves right along.

15. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I have an old '94 Kona Cinder Cone .... I should get some slicks on there. I remember how sluggish it was for commuting. Slicks outta move it along.

Good reminder ..

TY

16. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

For the purposes you describe I would set your your budget MUCH lower. Mtn bike with HP slicks is a GREAT combo. you can lock up the rear wheel going down a wet grass hill and slide for 100's of yards too!

Buy used. buy a good lock. enjoy and kudos for pedaling 2-3 miles instead of burning fuel. your heart and lungs will thank you.....