I want a Boat! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my64fj40 said:
A part doesn't break just from sitting. It breaks when the boat is neglected :rolleyes:

If you take care of a boat it will take care of you...

you know i try and do that but it's a harsh corrosive environment and every year things just break. last year the wooden flagpole broke at the base of the shaft. Do you think I neglected proper flagpole maintenance? I oiled it every year ;) this year screws vibrated out of the windshield frame and it started rattling. Should I have tightened them all as a precaution in the fall?

btw a robalo would be on my list if they weren't so rare and expensive up here. I'd like an older 21 cuddy with a big outboard. very nice boats if they have a full transom.

Intresting topic guys. I fish all the time out of my Silver King flats boat and own a 40' catamaran which is a water taxi in Charleston. The fact is; a boat is a hole in the water where you throw money and the worst thing for them is to sit and not run. No maintenance and constant running is better than no running and constant maintenance. A boat is a great idea if you run it.

Dang, there are a lot of mt p guys on here!

that is true.

I had to leave mt p a few years ago - traffic was just too bad for county folk like me.

The first two will burn around 10 gallons per hour or possibly more. the second two a bit less.

aren't you in colorado? searays of that era are good sea boats but heavy deep v boats that drink gas and throw off huge wakes you can't ski behind. i would think they are complete overkill on most lakes if that is what you have in mind. get something lighter with a shallower v hull for that. you'll go faster with the same hp and use less gas, plus it will be easier to trailer and easier to get in the boat!

semlin said:
aren't you in colorado? searays of that era are good sea boats but heavy deep v boats that drink gas and throw off huge wakes you can't ski behind. i would think they are complete overkill on most lakes if that is what you have in mind. get something lighter with a shallower v hull for that. you'll go faster with the same hp and use less gas, plus it will be easier to trailer and easier to get in the boat!

I live in NJ
Well my goal is to have a boat by next summer. But I would need to figure out if I want to keep it on a lake or the bay/ocean. The PRO's for the lake are that the lake is 10 minutes from my house, and it is just a beautiful place. The Con is that it is of course smaller.

The beach house is almost 2 hours away, and that is where the boat would be, and the salt water. I have a beach house, but no lake house. So if it was on the lake, I would be playing at the marina and thats it.

Thanks,
Zack

semlin said:
you know i try and do that but it's a harsh corrosive environment and every year things just break. last year the wooden flagpole broke at the base of the shaft. Do you think I neglected proper flagpole maintenance? I oiled it every year ;) this year screws vibrated out of the windshield frame and it started rattling. Should I have tightened them all as a precaution in the fall?

btw a robalo would be on my list if they weren't so rare and expensive up here. I'd like an older 21 cuddy with a big outboard. very nice boats if they have a full transom.

A friend on mine owns a 21 robalo cc, that is an older model with the teak and everything. Cool boats. Not sure if the hull design is the same as the cuddy cabin, but for a 21 ft boat it take waves pretty good.

How about the C-Dory?

http://www.c-dory.com/C-Dory 22.htm

They are ment to be awesome little boats.:eek:
22CsideTo.jpg

I want a boat too.I am absolutely kicking myself every day for not purchasing this one in April of this year...
Albin 27 AC. Common out East, rare out West...
1504523_1.jpg

my64fj40 said:
A friend on mine owns a 21 robalo cc, that is an older model with the teak and everything. Cool boats. Not sure if the hull design is the same as the cuddy cabin, but for a 21 ft boat it take waves pretty good.

yes the old robalo's i've seen don't spare the teak or the fiberglass. does cc mean centre console or cuddy cabin down there? up here in bc where i boat we are in sheltered salt water so we still need a deep v still for the short chop but we don't need the big hulls for the rollers or running out 50 miles offshore. 21' would be as big or bigger than i would need, and you won't see many centre console boats in BC over about 17'.

get a sail boat and never look back they are quite, I have sailed 2x SF,ca to HI both trips were ammazing, 16day the frist time and 11.5 days the second. THere is nothing like being 1100 mi from land. Infact the 1/2 waypoint between SF and HI is the farest away from land one can get in the world.

I just want a nice little AMC sunfish to cruise around my inlaws lake! Maybe i will find a decent one this winter:) just what i need another toy! "really honey its for the kids so they can learn how to sail!!:)

Stew

I am mostly into the power boat end of things, however the sailboats are beautiful.

Zack

Zack1978 said:
I most want a 1987-1989 23 - 25 ft Sea Ray Cuddy. They are my favorite boats. The look is classic and the Teak is beautiful!

Zack

We just bought a Sea Ray Sundancer 35'ft has twin 350 mercs (300 hours), v-drives (awesome), westerbeak gen set, heat/air, etc, etc

Getting ready to drop all new electronics on it and find a wet slip somewhere for since trailering it is a nightmare with its ~11ft beam. To give you an idea of how big it is that is a 4x4 2500HD hooked to the trailer in front of it in the picture.
d3_12.JPG

Last edited:
RedfishBluegrass said:
Intresting topic guys. I fish all the time out of my Silver King flats boat and own a 40' catamaran which is a water taxi in Charleston. The fact is; a boat is a hole in the water where you throw money and the worst thing for them is to sit and not run. No maintenance and constant running is better than no running and constant maintenance. A boat is a great idea if you run it.

My dad's exact words were: "A boat is a hole in the ocean to pour money into." and now I finally believe him... but they are fun if you have the money to try to fill that hole. My grandfather (mom's dad) when I was asking him about boats and the cost of maintenance said: "If you have to ask or even think about how much it is going to cost to maintain a boat then it is way too expensive for you."

Both were right, but they sure are fun!

My brother bought a boat and used it for fishing. Every time he came back in his wife would gently remind him of the ring she could have had for the cost of the boat. He named it Liz's Diamond. Then she started calculating exactly how much each pound of fish cost after every trip. He still has the wife but a different boat. She told him the last time I went fishing with him that he was doing pretty good... the cost of fish had gotten all the way down to $ 1,000 a pound!

I sold my last 'big boat' - a 25' Mako (with a fold down tower for trailering and twins) over the internet to a guy in Panama. It is retired now and enjoying the billfishing in the Pacific. My last small boat a 17' mako was sold to my brother... his wife really loves me now!

My kayak is not too costly now.

Last edited: