I used the wrong gaskets!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, just finished today with everything including both front and rear sway bar bushings...but I just realized...

I used the wrong gaskets for my front and rear differentials. I used my transfer case gaskets. 90430-18008

Should have been 12157-10010

F*#!*&^%#!! ME! How much of a problem is this or am I just asking a stupid question because it's literally the wrong gasket? A waste of $100 in gear oil is what it is.

So, just finished today with everything including both front and rear sway bar bushings...but I just realized...

I used the wrong gaskets for my front and rear differentials. I used my transfer case gaskets. 90430-18008

Should have been 12157-10010

F*#!*&^%#!! ME! How much of a problem is this or am I just asking a stupid question because it's literally the wrong gasket? A waste of $100 in gear oil is what it is.

Did they seal? This isn't rocket science, you're talking about a plug gasket. If it doesn't leak, you could use dolphin gonads.

Did they seal? This isn't rocket science, you're talking about a plug gasket. If it doesn't leak, you could use dolphin gonads.
Did them yesterday, been doing a little driving around. No leaks so far. I have about a 500 mile road trip happening in a couple weeks so I'll keep an eye on it this week and if need to, change them out this weekend. I was just curious, aluminum gaskets for the TC and steel gaskets for the diffs. I guess aluminum on steel is ok?

I wouldn't worry about it. I have a giant John Deere mug that has hundreds of random sealing gaskets from various vehice projects over the last four decades that I pull from all the time. As long as it doesn't leak, it is all good. The Toyota gods will forgive you.

Did them yesterday, been doing a little driving around. No leaks so far. I have about a 500 mile road trip happening in a couple weeks so I'll keep an eye on it this week and if need to, change them out this weekend. I was just curious, aluminum gaskets for the TC and steel gaskets for the diffs. I guess aluminum on steel is ok?
The TC plugs are steel, as are the diff plugs. I wouldn't anticipate any problems. I'm sure Toyota had their reasons, but I doubt it's critical. Replace them next time you drain and fill, if it bothers you. You'll notice a leak months before it drains enough oil to be an issue.

Edit to add: Aluminum gaskets on the steel diffs won't be an issue. Steel gaskets on the aluminum TC case could be an issue, especially if overtightened, might damage the sealing surface.

Ok...thanks all. My OCD will probably change them out sooner rather than later. At least they'll get a good flush when I get to it sooner. For now, I'll rest easy and keep an eye on them.

Edit: I type too slow, Spike beat me to it:

So you used the aluminum washers (gaskets) for the drain plugs in the differentials? Shouldn't be a problem. The reason aluminum washers/gaskets are used on the aluminum transfer case instead of steel is so the steel gaskets won't gall (damage) the aluminum transfer case.

However the design of the gaskets for the diffs is different as the steel gaskets are a type of single use crush washer.

Keep an eye on it, if it leaks you could buy a second drain plug and correct washer to get it ready to go, then remove the drain plug and washer (leave the fill plug in), quickly put your finger in the hole while you put the new drain plug and correct washer in place. Or just have someone else swap out the gaskets while you keep your finger in the drain hole. It will be a bit messy but you'll only loose a few ounces of gear oil if you work fast.

The TC plugs are steel, as are the diff plugs. I wouldn't anticipate any problems. I'm sure Toyota had their reasons, but I doubt it's critical. Replace them next time you drain and fill, if it bothers you. You'll notice a leak months before it drains enough oil to be an issue.

Edit to add: Aluminum gaskets on the steel diffs won't be an issue. Steel gaskets on the aluminum TC case could be an issue, especially if overtightened, might damage the sealing surface.
ok, thought the TC gasket were aluminum. Groovy.

Ok...thanks all. My OCD will probably change them out sooner rather than later. At least they'll get a good flush when I get to it sooner. For now, I'll rest easy and keep an eye on them.

If the oil is fresh and clean just catch it in a clean container and pump it back in. It's only gear oil going into an old truck.

It's only gear oil going into an old truck.
At $100, apparently it's gear oil squeezed from a unicorn horn. Don't judge.

I use copper spark plug gaskets we use in aviation.

Can be annealed as many times you want, are pretty thick so they never break.

Copper is superior in every way for this application imop.

Less than a buck also😬 so it’s cheaper than Toyota gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom