I tried them all, yet, here I sit...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Bludozer, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Bludozer

Bludozer

I tried the new 4runner and Taco, I tried the 2500 Cummins, Duramax, I even sat in a few Land Rovers (forgive me) and yet, here I sit. I tried the 200 and the 100. I even thought, hey, try a non-4x4 - you can always pick up a beater for your fishing adventures. So I did - I tried them all...Lexus, Infiniti, even porsche. And yet, here I sit, in my 80.

Let me give you some background. A few days ago logic took a hold of my brain and I had a bit of a come to Jesus. This has happened a couple times before, but not with this level of intensity.

"Wtf am I doing," I thought.
    "With my work-schedule I use my 80 to its full potential 4-5x per year."
    "The rest of the time I'm stuck going back and forth to work getting 12 mpg (if I'm lucky) with a s***ty sound system and mediocre A/C. Not to mention, sub-par ride quality and 23-year old vehicle quirks."
    "Be realistic," said my brain, "it would make a lot more sense to drive something else."

So I did. I drove them all. I work in the automotive industry so I have access to just about every vehicle. And none, not a single one, made me feel the way my 80 does. I already own a 40, and while I love it, I don't even love that truck as much as my 80. There simply isn't a vehicle out there that compares, nothing makes as much sense, nothing else was designed to this level of perfection, and most importantly, nothing else gives me the same feeling that my 80 does.

So I've developed a new plan. Drive my 80 until it cannot be driven anymore...in the meantime, look for a replacement. Another 80. Look for that cherry, 100% rust free, one-owner 95-97 driven by an old lady and never off-roaded example and completely restore it. Take your time. Once you find it, buy it, drive it sparingly, and store it. It will be the only vehicle worthy of replacing your current one.

Thanks for reading - I will admit to smoking a cigar while posting this which has made me even more contemplative than normal. I realize this is basically circlejerk: the post, but it is truly what I firmly believe.

Life is too short, we are guaranteed nothing, make no exceptions, drive an 80 series.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    popstar, vipergrhd, MACFJ60 and 13 others like this.
  2. chap79

chap79 Wheel. Break. Fix. Repeat. SILVER Star

Were you also sipping a Whisky with that cigar?

I feel the same way as you about the 80. Even with the low mpg it is still cheaper to drive than a new truck payment. I’ve been eyeing a few very clean LX450’s out here in SoCal and thinking I should pull the trigger on one before their price gets even higher.

ewillis and Bludozer like this.
  3. JohnVee

JohnVee SILVER Star

I bought my stock, rust free '96 as an eventual replacement for my modded '94. I recommend the idea.

stevezero and Bludozer like this.
  4. Bludozer

Bludozer

No, but I was drinking bourbon :flipoff2:

After everything I've seen IMHO there simply is not a vehicle out there that does everything as well as the 80 does.
    I'd hop on one of those LX450's...the secret is getting out, they won't be this cheap forever...

Franz and chap79 like this.
  5. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

I absolutely love my 105. But it’s a point-and-shoot weapon for my wife for when weather turns nasty in Houston. For that role, 11-12 mpg is just fine. I got rid of my 1991 Dodge D250 Cummins (I loved that truck) once I was able to start driving again. I replaced it with a 2015 Ram 1500 with the Ecodiesel, and I haven’t looked back. It’s a crew cab, 5’7” box, 4x4, and returns a consistent 24-25mpg on the highway and 19-21mpg combined around town*. It’s the most comfortable truck I’ve ever had. Ford, GM, Ram, and Toyota are all turning out great trucks. Everyone has their favorite flavor, but mine need to be spiced with diesel fuel.

And before you start in with the interweb horror stories about the Ecodiesel, I’ll just say mine is well past where it would have shown itself to be a lemon if it was one. It’s got 153,000 miles on it and you’d never know it to look at it or to ride in it. No rattles, no clicking u-joints or front shafts. It’s quiet and smooth.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. BILT4ME

BILT4ME

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice!

Talked about 80's, 40's, other makes, goods, and bad......even got in a tiny bit of sodomy!

That's how I feel about my LC and about my Studebaker.

Buy another 80 now and store it for another 35 years!

Bludozer likes this.
  7. Gabriel 71

Gabriel 71

Damn I'm sitting here reading this drinking knob creek on the rocks .

4mydogs, Sirlongrod and Bludozer like this.
  8. spdwaver1

spdwaver1

Media:
    Albums:
    Aw, man - I thought this thread was about something else.

- Liam

4mydogs, Chocolate and Sirlongrod like this.
  9. Sirlongrod

Sirlongrod

o.p has obviously never driven a 60

74fj40, Haggis, vipergrhd and 5 others like this.
  10. sterling

sterling SILVER Star

Fwiw every time I went to get a modern landcruiser it ended up being a lx450 followed by a lx470.
    That Lexus badge is cruiser kryptonite or so it seems.

Sirloin God is spot on regarding 60 series rigs, Hubba hubba dems is sexy fo sho son.

Sirlongrod likes this.
  11. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Isnt someone selling dual cab 79 series in the US now?

Foreigner, decavo, spdwaver1 and 2 others like this.
  12. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    In deep dark recesses of my mind, I seem to remember you had a 45 and a 1KZ TE to drop in it. Did I dream it?

13. TonyP

TonyP GOLD Star

Since I'm deep in the whiskey like the OP probably is, I'll entertain this thread. I've owned two 3rd gen 4Runners and a Tundra for a while. I owned a 200 for a year and a half. I liked it, never loved it. Bought a semi-wrecked 80 series to use as a donor for another 70-series project. Been driving it daily for a week now. I like the haggard, wrecked, 80 more than the fancy pants 200. But maybe I'm just a masochist...

4mydogs and RMP&O like this.
  14. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    If a 80 is haggard and wrecked, how will you find the 70 series?

15. TonyP

TonyP GOLD Star

Good point, there must be a bell-curve. I assume the 70 is near the top of the "haggard, wrecked, herniated spinal disk, masochist" enjoyment curve. Hopefully?
    (I've driven a 70 :D)

16. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes and thats on the freeway. Wait till you hit the rough stuff.

17. TonyP

TonyP GOLD Star

There was certainly some rough stuff with the 70 I drove in Afghanistan. :D But it'll have an 80-series frame/coil-suspension so I'm not too worried.

18. Franz

Franz

I like my 105, but I loved my 80. I will always be sorry that I sold it. When my wife couldn't find me around the house, she knew she would probably find me sitting in the 80, sipping a beer thinking about all the places that we had been in it.

TallCanDan and 4mydogs like this.
  19. Pighead

Pighead Stop calling it an FJ

Jeebus. You pansies and your first-world problems. Try that in a 55... pghead2.jpg

surfpig, vipergrhd, BMThiker and 4 others like this.
  20. TonyP

TonyP GOLD Star

Not sure if you're being facetious.
    The only proper use for a Land Cruiser is flopping it on it's side on rocks?
    That's like saying the only use for an F1 car is slamming it into a wall at Monaco. Or the only use for a hammer is driving nails.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.