I tore two oil filter gaskets in a row. Help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
coachglenndavis.com
I've been silent due to medical issues and surgery from my auto accident in 2019. I was hoping my newest post in several months would be my photo submissions of some of my maintenance work (like dash cams). Anywhoozle, in the past 24 hours, I tore two oil filter gaskets. The first time I tightened the oil filter housing by hand, which I've done before with no issues. The top gasket (big one) separated and oil sprayed everywhere. So I got a new filter and gasket, replaced the gasket, then used a torque wrench to tighten the filter housing. I'm using the specialized filter-housing tool. Same result. You'd think after changing the oil in my vehicles for most of my life this wouldn't be an issue.

Feel free to roll eyes and chime in.

I hope you are feeling well.

Did you lubricate the new gasket with clean oil?

I've been silent due to medical issues and surgery from my auto accident in 2019. I was hoping my newest post in several months would be my photo submissions of some of my maintenance work (like dash cams). Anywhoozle, in the past 24 hours, I tore two oil filter gaskets. The first time I tightened the oil filter housing by hand, which I've done before with no issues. The top gasket (big one) separated and oil sprayed everywhere. So I got a new filter and gasket, replaced the gasket, then used a torque wrench to tighten the filter housing. I'm using the specialized filter-housing tool. Same result. You'd think after changing the oil in my vehicles for most of my life this wouldn't be an issue.

Feel free to roll eyes and chime in.

Are you sure you are placing the large gasket in the proper slot on the filter housing?

Not my picture, but this should give you an idea of where the gasket should go:

filter-cap-components-1.jpg

The only reason I can think of for your gaskets failing is maybe you are putting them down further on the housing - on the mating surface - and this is cutting them.

HTH

P.S.: Not here:

filter-cap-components-1_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you are feeling well.

Did you lubricate the new gasket with clean oil?

Thanks Charlie for you kind words. Yes, I'm finally in the healing stage. And another yes on the clean oil lubrication. But that's a good point to make.

Last edited:
You just nailed it! Thank you. This is a big "Duh" on me but I'm so glad you pointed this out. This is exactly what happened. Easy fix and I'll remember never to do this again. I've been taught that gaskets go at the "edge" of things.

Are you sure you are placing the large gasket in the proper slot on the filter housing?

P.S.: Not here:

View attachment 2335311

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom