1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I thought of it first!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 72FJ40LandCruiser, Aug 7, 2005.

1. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Who here has come up with something that you didn't act on, and then you saw it somewhere? Maybe an invention, ad idea, etc. My favorite of mine that I haven't seen yet is an idea for a Preperation H commercial. Imagine a bunch of cowpokes on a cattle drive, and Johnny Cash's "Burning Ring of Fire" is playing in the background. One guy is riding on his horse and you can see he's in discomfort. Then the "should have used Preparation H" line comes in for a plug for the product. I think it'd be pretty damn funny and would grab some attention. I've had a couple inventions I'd thought up a few years ago, but can't seem to remember them now. Must not have been too good.

What's everybody else got?

2. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser Moderator

"For only $100 will send you this kit and a book on how to pattent your idea"

3. Koffer

Koffer

Over 10 years ago I thought about LED bulbs for cars and also LEDs in fuses so they would glow when burned out .
    well I sit here now with these things on the market and not a pot to piss in cause I had no idea how to get it from my head to market :crybaby:

4. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

I remembered one, though it's not really "inventing" anything, just marketing and packaging it in a different way. 3M makes this product that is a clear self-adhesive film that you can apply to the front of your hood or whatever to try to protect from rock chips. Once applied, it's very hard to tell that it's on there, and it is of course removable. On motorcycles, lots of saddlebags are mounted so that they rub on the bare fender, and can marr and damage the paint. Well, if you could buy this stuff in a smaller package (people wouldn't have to know it was the same 3M stuff) meant to protect your motorcycle fender, you wouldn't have to worry about damaging your expensive paint job by having your saddlebags rub it. All it would take would be some special packaging and marketing towards the RUBs and I'd be loaded.

5. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

roofing tiles that double as solar panels, that can put the electricity back into the grid

can you imagine the wasted surface area of all those roofs.

6. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Cripes that would be expensive! Would you have each tile have wires coming off of it? That would be a hell of a mess to wire.

One thing I've though of (and I'm sure it's already done) is routing black flexible tubing in a fashionable manner over the roof and running water through it. Then route it to a tank where it is held, and there is a heating element to maintain the temperature. Because you wouldn't need to heat up the water, just maintain the temp, you could save a fair amount of electricity or gas. On winter or overcast days, you could use it normally as the heating element would be capable of warming it up also. You just wouldn't normally need to use it like that. I'm sure on a hot day you could get some pretty hot water off your roof!

7. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I can't tell you how many "marketing" ideas I've had for products that already exist............seem to never stop thinking about how to push stuff....

as far as inventions........not really. I mean, I've done the "dude....I need something like this...." thing a million times....but have always lost the desire right then and there to pursue it.

Guess I'm not an inventor. I did invent my own special "Oh" face. If that counts.

8. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    A car trunk that holds more bodies.... :D

9. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

Media:
    Albums:
    Now then, what saddle bags are we talking 'bout? My saddle bags rub "it" alot. I wonder if someone has an invention for that?

10. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

There actually are silk "socks" that are meant for your pecker. Intended for guys who have worn boxers for a long time and are desensitized. It'd keep you rub-free, also.

11. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

I have an idea, we'll see in the next few months if I can make anything from it. Tired or working for corporate america.

12. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Ah come on, fill us in!

13. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

I can't let that one out quite yet. I remember watching a progam awhile back where they interviewed a guy who made wire coat hangers. Nothing fancy and no plastics. He had only one factory and only made 1 style wire hanger. It was a multi million dollar operation.

I'll give you another though...
    I though it would be nice to have sequential tail lights/brake lights. A normal stop would be just like they are today. However, a panic stop would light up brighter indicating a real need to stop. Some of the new cars will darn near blind you and the guy is either driving with two feet or dragging the brakes without really slowing down. Neither is a real emergency but it sure seems like it with how bright they are.

14. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

as the price of solar panels comes down i dont know if it would be...

i was invisaging say the "wiring" be in the support beams that the tiles sit on in the roof, and the tiles having little prongs to plug into the support beams

the solar hot water system is already alive and well in Aust.

15. VTFJ40

VTFJ40

Or attach them to something like track lighting. I've wondered about the same thing. We vacationed at a solar cabin in Maine. Way of grid, with every electrical appliance a normal house has. Even works in winter.

As you said, with the prices dropping on solar tech, this is not a bad idea.

16. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Hmmm, there's a talk radio guy here in Orlando that talked about using that song for a PrepH commercial about 2 years ago. Not sure if he had the idea before that. His name is Jim Philips, he's on XM radio too. You should give him a call and ask him when he came up with the idea, it'd be an interestind and funny debate!!!

He may have even pitched it to PrepH, he mentioned something to the effect that it's a little to edgy for them.

I think it's damn funny.

Here's a linky:

http://philips.wtks.com/

17. flowman

flowman

Media:
    Albums:
    This may only make sense to people around Atlanta, or Braves fans at least, but I invented the foam tomahawk back during the 91 season, when the tomahawk chop (a silly cheer) was the rage. I was lining up foam suppliers and talking to a patent lawyer when a friend called one night and said "turn on the Braves--somebody beat you to it!"

:whoops:

18. Koffer

Koffer

Hehe, hes the guy who put his foot in his mouth a couple weeks ago telling another show's listeners to "bring it on" till he just about lost his mind changed his tune and cried about getting lawyers after a day, ended up not being able to take calls for 4days .

19. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Here's my three ideas that someone can steal and make millions, because I enjoy sitting and drinking Diet Coke too much to act on them:

- wireless kid proximity locator. I hate to see the kids that have to wear a harness and leash because their parents can't pay attention long enough to make sure they haven't run off. So, you put a wrist band on the kid, wrist band on the parent, if the two bands separate by more than a few feet, they buzz.

- USB slot holder. With all the concern about flash drives and people stealing sensitive material from computers, you have a device that occupies all the USB slots on a computer. If they're pulled out, it sends an alarm via the network to the sys admin.

- collapsible traffic cone. Haven't figured out the dynamics of this one, but it's a traffic cone that's like a pop-up magicians top hat. They could store flat and stack. If you've ever looked in a cop car trunk, and they have to carry cones, they eat up like 2/3rds of the space.

Ok, make your millions.

20. flowman

flowman

Media:
    Albums:
    Cory,

They already beat you to it on the last one:

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=HS227&cat=62

Other two sound like cool ideas--go for it!