I thought I would share... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
...that I just finished my first 5k in under 58 minutes. I know it's not fast but, I did the same race last year in my wheelchair and I think I had more pins, rods, screws, and plates in my two legs than any other participant.

To think, when they diagnosed me with Osteogenesis Imperfecta as a baby they told my parents I would never walk and live a normal life. I guess they were 50% right.

Next race is July 3rd - Firecracker 5k, if anyone wants to join in.

- Mark

Get it!

Congratulations!! That is awesome!!!

fjfar80 said:

- Mark

In. How 'bout you other slackers that aren't going to Moab?

That's pretty impressive! Once was a runner but now I don't run unless somebody says "free buffet."

I think I am going to be a bit sore tomorrow...but, it was worth it. Cam, you'll be much faster than me...but, it will be fun and hot.

I just hope that I can motivate some folks to get moving...not my ih8mud friends...just folks in general. I myself am always motivated when I see our soldiers returning from Iraq and A-Stan with missing limbs...but, only motivated to get back in the fight...awesome!

Thanks guys.

- Mark

Did you start and build up alone, or fid you have a set plan you followed?

That's great work, Mark! I was a runner until I left college, and it's no easy task. Takes a lot of determination and personal strength, both physically and mentally. Kudos!

Brian

I just paced myself and aimed for 18 minute miles which is what I run twice a week on the treadmill. So, it was pretty easy to keep the pace. The only problem was that I usually only do two miles...so, the extra 1.2 was a little rough...but, I survived.

Great job Mark. I'm sure I couldn't do a 5K now.

- Mark

Dude, that's badass. I need to figure out what day I'm cooking for Stewpot. If it's the 5th, I'll do the 5K with you. Keep it up and let's plan on doing a Tough Mudder next spring.:beer:

Awesome!!!

Some things to consider in preparation for the next run. You probably already know this..

If you can train outside it will prepare you a little better next time( Heat acclimation). Run on grass if you can. Easier on the knees. Running through a bad part of town is one way to develop speed ; )

Training on a treadmill is a little different from training outisde or on an indoor track. Although training on a treadmill is easier on your knees, easier to keep a consistent pace and has the abililty to create some terrains ( incline setting), you are keeping up with the pace set versus propelling yourself when you are training outside/indoor track.

Mix your training between the treadmill and outdoor if you can.

Take 5 days off after a race. Start back with 1 -1.5 miles per run the 1st week back then add .5 miles every one to two weeks depending on how you feel. Never run the entire distance of the race you 're training for. 3 mile race run 2.5 miles tops. 3-5 days before race cut down mileage to a mile or two below distance of race.
This will save your knees in the long run. If you plan on keeping runnng as your main form of cardiovascular exercise. You must crosstrain. That means doing other things for cardio like the elliptical, biking, swimming etc.

Kick a$$ and take names!

Fantastic Mark! Keep it up.

My wife, daughter and I recently committed to try the "Couch to 5K" program. It's all over the Internet.

Our plan was that our reward will be choosing a destination city/town we've never visited to run our first 5K. We're thinking New England this fall, some little coastal village.

Just finishing the first week's schedule, and what seemed easy on paper almost killed this piece of blubber! Hoping I can hold on and your successes will motivate me down the line.

Lenny -

Thanks man...good advice. I try not to run on grass (even though I would like to) my ankles are just too weak from all the rods and screws...too easy to roll an ankle and snap a tibia or fibula.

I do Masters Swims on Mondays, lift 3 days a week, and do spin classes 2 days a week or bike outside. Henry and Otis keep us outside and we usually take them for a 2-3 mile walk every day.

I don't think I can ever really increase my speed too much, my stride is just too short.

Surprisingly, I feel pretty good today...I took two advil last night and thought I was going to be sore this morning, but I climbed out of bed and took the dogs for a short walk...all was good.

Jes, we will definitely do one of those crazy runs....we need to have a CottonLand team...that would be awesome. But, someone tall is going to have to piggy-back me through the burning hey...I don't want to toast my nuts.

Couch to 5k...keep it up and you'll do it...if I can do it anyone can.

- Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom