I think the master window switch is done! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Check out this video I made of the master window switch not working consistently. You can hear a click after the window stops and this click is normal but now, the window doesn't go up/down consistently. After working one cycle, it actually needs few min to reset/cool down. I get the sense that the controller is seeing an overload condition and stops powering up the motor.

This motor is the second motor in this location, The original one gave up the ghost just few months ago after 20+ years of service. I grabbed the replacement motor out of a 3rd gen 4runner and installed into the original window regulator.

I didn't open up the master switch controller as I'm not sure what component might need replacing. No burnt smell or anything so it maybe time to replace this whole shebang and then do the auto window up mod again.

Let me know if any of your has experienced this issue.

Last edited:
I bet you got a ton of carbon built up in there. Cleaning mine up helped. but I need to do it again on one of the switches in there. The more carbon there is the more heat they will create.

I bet you got a ton of carbon built up in there. Cleaning mine up helped. but I need to do it again on one of the switches in there. The more carbon there is the more heat they will create.
Thanks for the input, what were your symptoms? Did you hear the same click that I'm hearing?

I had pretty good luck replacing with an aftermarket switch. Don't recall the name, but others who have used him here may remember?

IMO, it's tired. Replace it.

I had pretty good luck replacing with an aftermarket switch. Don't recall the name, but others who have used him here may remember?
Switchdoctor is the aftermarket brand. Searching in this forum should bring up a link.

Thanks for the input, what were your symptoms? Did you hear the same click that I'm hearing?
Clicked. Window only would move if i push/pulled very hard and sometimes i had to work it back and forth a little to get it started

Thanks fellas, great inputs. I went ahead and ordered one from SwitchDoctor for $25 via amazon. I'm in a time crunch to wrap some projects by end of Sunday as I got a trip to UT coming up on Wed. I had it sent to my Whole Foods for a Tues pickup and this was the first time I've done this. Hopefully it'll be there!

Thanks fellas, great inputs. I went ahead and ordered one from SwitchDoctor for $25 via amazon. SNIP Hopefully it'll be there!
IIRC, delivery was quite prompt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom