I think the Birfs are ok???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so tonight I decide to go and just jack up the cruiser and take a look around and perhaps take the driver front tire off......just to look at the brake pads and tinker around. Well, before I know it, the tools were out and things just started getting taken off. Two hours later the wife comes out and says "what the hell did you do?", and my reply was "I was just looking around and thought to see what was under this next bolt and plate etc etc..."..........Well so now its midnight and I have just realized I took my whole front driver side hub apart! I thought to myself that I might as well take the birf out and see if its the culprit of all my clanking and clicking lately.........well I cant tell now?? The one thing I do know is that when I got inside the housing, where there should be grease looked as if mud was packed in there. The smell was horrible (like old gas station oily rot smell.......my parents owned a station when I was kid and that is the smell I remember :rolleyes: ) Anyway, so I am glad I took the hub apart but now my problem is..........what next? I have read up on how to do a birf job and all that but my problem is, the birf looks fine (I think :confused: ) so should I just buy new gaskets and repack it or get new bearings etc? The bearings look fine to me as well...but I have never done this so I could be totally wrong?! Anyway, here are some pictures of where I am at and if anyone has advice please feel free to chime in. Ya once again, I have did the search thing and found tons of stuff.............I am just wanting to show what I did tonight is all and take any advice from anyone who might give me some good pointers is all. Thanks, Chans :beer:

One last thing.............I know I will be calling Dan on monday to order something to finish this job........just not sure as to what exactly at this point! :eek:

I say call Cdan and have new gaskets and fresh seals sent ASAP express. Theny buy some Amsoil synthetic HD grease, and some Mobil 1 red synthetic grease. Then print out all the repack help pages and go to town. You'v already done the hard stuff, now just finish it.

DougM

Thanks DougM, I will be calling Cdan first thing tomorrow morning. And to think I was only going to look around at the brake pads...........I seem to get myself in trouble when I lose track of the time. Owell, its all good.

Chans,

Where are you located? Someone might be able to stop by and give you a hand and look over the parts with you? Dan will also be able to tell you specifically where to look for wear spots also. As far as the bearings go, make sure all the rollers are freely moving and better yet inspect the races (what the bearings sit in) and see if there is any scaring of the metal there. This will tell you if new bearings and races are in your future as well.

More info on the rig as in year, mileage, and previous known maitence would also be helpful. When I did my front axle the first time post purchase I installed new bearings and races as I was pretty sure it had never been done. The first ones lasted 136K, these should to. You can search and find a lot of people purchase their bearings locally, I went the easy route and got them from Dan.

Hope this helps...good luck with the misses and the rig!

IdahoDoug said:
Theny buy some Amsoil synthetic HD grease, and some Mobil 1 red synthetic grease.

Sorry for the hijack. Is the Amsoil synthetic HD the moly grease you use for the birfield? Or, the other way around?

The reason I'm asking is that I've found where I can buy Mobil1 synth grease so I need to know which one is moly-based and order it online. I am currently using Caterpillar greases. Thanks.

Ok, I have looked and I cant find Mr CruiserDans phone number........anyone have it handy? I need to order my parts asap :eek:

The famed "birf. click", is a result of grooves cut into the inner surface of the birf bell by the birf balls (say that ten times real fast :D). I'm not sure that you can see that, unless you take the birf. apart. Are you saying that you can clearly see the inner wall of the birf, with it together and there are no signs of wear there?

:beer:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom